Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what your choice would be if you could pick between two 55 gallon tanks or one 55 and one 40 gallon tank. I am for sure going to get a 55g but can't decide if I should keep my 40g or sell it to help with the price of another 55g. What do you all think?

·
Registered
361 Posts
What kind of 40 gallon? Long? Breeder?

I, personally, prefer the 40-long over the 55. Sure, it's less water, but it's the same footprint. The only difference is I don't have to be in as deep when trying to reach the bottom.

If it's a 40 breeder - no brainer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a breeder. I just want to here others preferences. I like the depth of the breeder but most cichlids that I keep or want to keep like length.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you are considering a 55, you should look at a 75. The bigger footprint for only a few dollars more, amkes it the sweet spot in economical tanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd keep the 40 for now. I mean, you are already getting one new tank. :lol: I would, however, encourage you to get a dual stand when you get your 55 so in the future if you get another one you already have a stand.

Also, +1 to BillD, the extra 6" make a huge difference. Your only extra cost is the tank, most filters people get for 55's will work (I mean the usual overkill filters like an XP3 and the like, not an AC50), the lights are the same length, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking a 10g wet dry on each 55g with 1 1/4" overflow coming from the 55. Do you think that would be enough filtration. I would do one large wet dry but I want to be able to have different parameters or temp in each tank.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A 10 gallon with a 1.25" overflow is a setup designed with no margin for error. Assuming gravity or low pressure, that diameter can handle up to 1500 gph, or 25 gpm. So If your power goes out, your sump can flood in about 20 seconds if you don't get to it.

I've flooded a sump, not a fun thing to deal with. I love sumps, but if you're doing a dual set up and don't have your tank on a concrete slab in an unfinished basement, you might want to consider using two good canisters instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run a 3/4'' overflow on my 40g with a 10g sump and when I turn the pump off the level only rises 2'' in the sump( the level in the sump with pump running is 9'').

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you have success with it then I won't stop you, I just wanted to raise the reg flags I saw with the small volume and large diameter intake.

Even though .75" and 1.25" are close, they have a difference of 840 gph in possible flow. I would just be wary of using a small tank. My 75g has a 25-30g sump which is just enough to hold all the water it can siphon if the power goes out. The one time I flooded it by keeping it fuller than usual and a terrible storm hit during the night. Woke up to probably 10-15 gallons of water in my basement.

Do you drill your tanks or use an overflow box?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use PVC overflows. Would it be better if I used the 40g as a sump and ran both 55s off of it? With the greater volume capacity it would allow extra run off during a power outage. I just wanted to be able to run one 55 at 78 degrees and the other at 80 or could I just run both at one of those temps?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd split the difference and call it 79 degrees. A 40 gallon sump for 2 55's sounds a lot better to me.

Two 55's plumbed together filtered by a 40g sump sounds like a really awesome setup :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to look over it more and see how different the parameters are between the fish i want to keep. Maybe see how two 20s would do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have decided that both of the 55s will be filtered by the 40g, but I can't decide what the 40g should be.

Here are my options:
1) Wet/dry filter and return pump area(this means only two chambers)
2) Wet/dry filter, refugium area, and return pump area
3) Densely planted area and then separate pump area

I would really like to have an area for plants to remove nitrates but it isn't needed. What do you think would be best?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts