Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do ya think i should be able to house more then 5 african cichlids in a 55gallon

like yellow labs, reb zebra, rusty ,kenyi

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
5 species? Probably not. In a four foot tank I've been told 3-4. Also to keep your stock in line you can have 11 fish. But there was also a post a while ago saying you could have 20 max in a 55.

As long as you choose relatively peaceful fish who only show aggression to conspecifics and stay below the 5" mark, in theory that could work with 5 groups of 4.

As for 5 fish in a tank, that'd be no problem! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JoelRHale said:
5 species? Probably not. In a four foot tank I've been told 3-4. Also to keep your stock in line you can have 11 fish. But there was also a post a while ago saying you could have 20 max in a 55.

As long as you choose relatively peaceful fish who only show aggression to conspecifics and stay below the 5" mark, in theory that could work with 5 groups of 4.

As for 5 fish in a tank, that'd be no problem! :D
Hey Sorry ment 5 fish all together

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you were going for all male you would have a better chance of success,the species you chose would be hard to determine that,they would be fighting to get the females attention

pick 3 species and try to end up with 1 male 4 females ,yellow labs will breed with red zebras,I would choose one or the other

labs,rusties and a cynotilapia species would have a good chance

·
Registered
625 Posts
All together 5 would be fine, but you will want more when you see how empty it looks!

The key to success is to pick fish that grow up to be the same size and look different from one another.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am new to the cichlid world to so if I have 5 differnt species with 1m 3f ratio will that be fine for the tank?

·
Registered
625 Posts
That would be ~100" of grown up fish. From my understanding that is the absolutely the max amount of fish you could have in a 55. You would also need to not slack on water changes, adhere to rigorous feeding regiments that didn't overfeed, and use a filter made for a larger tank.

It's doable and I will probably do that with my 55, but it will be probably more work than 3-4 groups of 1m3f would be.

·
Registered
705 Posts
you have a good list of species. if anything for your first treck into cichlids id say try the acei, rusties, and then some yellow labs. try looking up some pics so u know what to look for out there. a lot of that petsmart/petco randoms r gonna be hybrids and genetically inferior fish. id go to a LFS that has some knowledge and a good in store stock. may take some time but i feel long term you will feel better about it and have a much better finished product.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am new to the cichlid world to so if I have 5 differnt species with 1m 3f ratio will that be fine for the tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts