Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon tank that I'm planning on using as a sump for my 125 gallon tank. The issue is that I don't have a bottom brace. It has a top brace, but no bottom. As a sump the tank won't be filled more than 1/2 to 2/3. I don't know the tank make, and I can't find a brace locally. I was thinking about building a brace, or maybe even using duct tape. How necessary is the bottom brace? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
What is a bottom brace? Braces at the top of some tanks are needed to ensure that the open top of a tank does not bulge when filled with water. Since the bottom of a tank is not open, braces are generally not needed.

If you mean the plastic frame around the bottom and top of tanks, I believe they are mostly decorative, unless the top frame contains a center brace. I don't think not having a plastic frame at the bottom of a tank would make any difference, but somebody more knowledgeable about this issue might correct me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.