Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been s-l-o-w-l-y building a 55 gallon (stand, canopy, diy bg, ug jets, etc.) over the past 8 months. Tank size is standard (48 x 12 x 20). An Eheim 2217 and foam prefilters on the UGJ powerheads should ensure that I've completely overkilled the filtration. The background will have plenty of hiding places, and I will add plenty of rockwork, & shells. The substrate will be pool filter sand. I should be finishing it up in the next couple of months, so now I'm thinking about stocking. I've been enjoying my office mini-tang tank and want to do something similar (but bigger) at home. How would the following work?

3 Gold Head Comps (1M: 2f)
3 Caudopunks
3 Multifasciatus (let them colonize the tank)
1 BN Pleco
6 Millenium Red Rainbowfish as dithers (glossolepis pseudoincisus) or possibly 5 red rainbows (glossolepis incisus) but not both.

I realize that Cyps would be the appropriate dithers for a true biotope, but for a variey of reasons, I want rainbows.

I've searched this forum and it sounds like the rainbows have worked for people. From what I've read they come from a lake in New Guinea with a high PH, so that won't be a problem. Anyone see (or experience) any compatibility issues or other problems I'm not thinking of?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The caudopunctatus will act as dithers, so if you would only add the rainbows because you think you need dithers...you don't.

Rainbows like a planted tank and some of them get large for a 55G. The dwarf neon rainbow (praecox) has worked for others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
The caudopunctatus will act as dithers, so if you would only add the rainbows because you think you need dithers...you don't.

Rainbows like a planted tank and some of them get large for a 55G. The dwarf neon rainbow (praecox) has worked for others.
Thanks! My office tank (20L see sig) was kind of boring until I added 6 zebra danios - then wow! I kind of wanted something to act a a dither for my bigger tang tank, but would also be an interesting addition with some color. And stocking the requisite dozen cyps would add enough bioload that I'd probably have to drop some of the others. Plus, no offense to anyone - but cyps just don't do it for me. I guess that's why they make different kinds of fish, though. :)

So maybe I tweak it & shoot for a total of around 5 caudopunctatus and drop the rainbows? I'd buy juvies & extras of everything and trade back the extras as they mature. with a target of:

5 caudopunks
3 calvus or comps (1 type no mixing!)
Multi Colony
1 BN Pleco

According to Aqadvisor - I would have a nicely understocked tank (biloload wise, not territory wise) which is fine with me because my massive water changes to my Mbuna tank can be tiresome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.