Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my background story: I started my tank about 3 years ago with 7 fish. 5 L. caeruleus and 2 m. estherae. I guess my tank didn't have enough rocks or fish because a dominant male lab killed all the others over the next 8 months or so. I then met a guy that studied malawian cichlids in africa and had to cull over 100 to make room for the new stock, so I got about 30 fish for free to add (his solution to help my dominant male aggression problem) to my tank. Heres the depressing part: the dominant lab killed all but 4 of those fish over the next two years. about one a month, they'd end up at the top of the tank with ragged fins, and the next day they were either gone or dead :( I didn't have the heart to kill/give away my fish I'd had for 2+ years so I just kept adding rocks, switching up the decorations etc. and nothing helped. So the lab got a tank to himself (which apparently he wanted).

Why/what would make a notoriously calm,peaceful fish kill so many other fish!?

I thought maybe he was a hybrid of like a lombardoi or something like that. Sometimes he shows some light stripes on his side.

So after being totally discouraged from the hobby for a little while, since my basement now housed a single mutant blood thirsty fish in his very own 55 gallon tank. I decided to get a new tank divider (the old one I tried way back when was merely a speedbump to my Lab) and I got a female kenyi and auratus cichlid from petsmart (I know, I felt so weird buying a cichlid there :) ) They're currently thriving in my tank, away from the sub par petsmart water conditions. I figured that two aggressive fish may be able to hold their own against him if the tank divider failed.

Ok so, my real question after all that is what sort of fish should I get to a) stop his rampage b) live long and prosper in my tank :) ? I also don't want to buy anymore from petsmart and the LFS doesn't sell africans due to aggression (go figure) so where online can I buy high quality strains of fish? I was thinking salousi, c. afra. or fish like that.

Thanks ahead of time, I know thats a LOT of nothing and only two real questions.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
so where online can I buy high quality strains of fish? I was thinking salousi, c. afra. or fish like that
Check the sponsors of this site, as well as the fish retailer reviews section. You should also try and find a list of clubs in your area.

But given your labs temperament, you may be spending a lot of money on fish that will be terrorized and not thrive in this tank. I think you will enjoy your fish more in the long run if you find a new home for the highly aggressive lab, which is likely some kind of mix/hybrid.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your solution may be to let the auratus grow. Then when he is full size remove the tank divider and let him kill your lab. (I'm kidding... but it could happen).

In all seriousness you are better off removing all fish and restocking with juveniles all at the same time. Why keep such a homicidal yellow lab if it is robbing your enjoyment of the hobby?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Labs r not very aggresive naturally so u deffinetly have a hybrid or the most aggresive lab *** ever herd of.The best bet is to do exactly what dotbomb had said and start all over with all juvies and try again u will be alot happier and not have to spend alot of unnecessary money on fish that r just going to be killed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dotbomb said:
Your solution may be to let the auratus grow. Then when he is full size remove the tank divider and let him kill your lab. (I'm kidding... but it could happen).
haha! I guess thats a viable option...

So restocking with juveniles... bluegrass aquatics offers really nice selection although I was looking for saulosi and they don't seem to stock them.

I was thinking along the lines of 5 labs, 5 cynotilapia, and 5 acei. Hopefully start a breeding group and go from there. What do I do if I get too many males/not enough females?

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes the black stripe should be a solid line running the length of the dorsal fin. my hybrid has no black stripes at all had to put it in with larger haps and peeacocks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't sound half bad... although I might just put him in a 10 gallon by himself, I haven't decided yet. What do you think I should restock with? I was thinking 5 labs, 5 cynotilapia, and 5 saulosi. trying for like 1m: 4f

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
Cynotilapia and saulosi are both blue-barred fish, maybe try for something else to get more variety and avoid fighting-crossbreeding-poor colors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts