Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm starting to get back into the hobby and need some help on stocking. I have a 55 gallon and would like to have

6 electric yellows
3 socolofi
5 johanni
3 rusties
3 acei
Does this sound good? I know johanni females are yellow. So, do I need to worry about cross breeding with the labs? Thanks for any help your able to give

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had these same questions not long ago!! After the excellent reading I did on here, I had to go against a Malawi/tang setup, even though they are utterly gorgeous fish. In conclusion, a 55 is simply too small a tank for malawi/tangs who like to roll around in larger groups. I decided against it because I wont be able to provide the best conditions to the fish. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
705 Posts
your on the right track. just maybe tone down ur thoughts a bit. try one or two species only and then in larger numbers. rusty's acei, and yellow labs are all wonderful choices to consider. id steer clear of melanochromis and socolofi. try maybe 8 of each and then thin down their numbers as they get bigger. i do know that acei can get a little big for a 55, (they are also food Monsters!) gl to ya.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. I think 55 gallons is good on size. I'm not putting haps in there or anything. I'de like some blue to my tank though thats why I considered socolofi's. Is there a better option? Thanks again

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well first of all there are no Tangs on your list, just Malawi mbuna--and a 55 is a great tank for most species of mbuna.

So most people on the forums will recommend 3 species in harem groups of 5-6 fish per species and one male per harem group. This advice is given for a couple of reasons: first, each of your males is going to try to claim at least a square foot of substrate level territory for mating purposes. Having a little extra space for them to divvy up amongst themselves can save you some headaches and keep the species from butting heads between one another. Second, by keeping 3-5 females per male you help keep your females from being overly harassed and stressed by amorous males. So the three species stocking plan is often advised because it's a proven winner. Can you stock more aggressively and have it work over the long haul? Absolutely, but by stocking more aggressively you are increasing the chances of having a problem. With that caveat out of the way, I'll try to address your stocking plan as best I can.

Now looking at what you're planning you have two species, Labs and acei, who seem to be a little more relaxed about numbers and ratios and are the low end of the mbuna aggression scale. There are some who are hesitant to recommend acei in a 4 foot tank because they can grow to be more than 6" long. Rusties are probably your next most aggressive mbuna and you may find that a rusty male may not tolerate a sub- dominant rusty male so you nay have to keep an eye on that. Socolofi are a little more aggressive than the previous 3 species and you may find they require more females to keep them from harassing other species. The Johannii are very aggressive and typically are recommended 1 male for 7-8 females in a 75 gallon tank. I wouldn't recommend them giving you're already keeping 4 other species. Many times this will give you what I call half-tank syndrome: where an aggressive male takes over half the tank and permits no one to exist on his side.

Regardless of your stocking decision you're going to want to seriously over-filter this tank with 20 adult fish. Shoot for at least 7x your tank volume in gallons per hour. You'll also want to have a hospital/quarantine tank handy to save any fish that's getting too bullied. I'd say between the Johannii and yellow lab females there would be a slight increased chance of hybridization especially if there aren't enough Johannii females to keep the male satisfied which means if you decide to stock the Johannii and Yelliw Lab together you probably won't want to keep fry from the Labs.

If I were you I'd pick my "must have" species and then base my remaining stocking off of that, and how confident I was to be able to handle a higher risk tank. You can always get some other opinions on the Lake Malawi forum since these are all mbuna.

Good luck with whatever you try!

·
Registered
392 Posts
For a blue you can do Metriaclima Callainos, Cynotilapia Sp "Hara", Pseuedoteopheus Demasoni, or one of Itungi or Ngara variants of the acei.

·
Registered
33 Posts
haha! now that the pros have spoken! Many other reasons I didnt go with it, just didnt look to great to me unless they where in a 100+ gal long style tank.

702Cichlid- I'm sure i'm not the only one that can appreciate the info you posted, didnt fully understand the combinations and why. thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts