Cichlid Fish Forum banner

55 gallon standard filter recommendation?

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  MaKettle 
Your Cichlids DO NOT read the recommended tank filtration sizes provided by the manufacturer. So no, those little piggies will definitely eat a lot. And, esp. with African, Rift Lake Cichlids - they tend to run with a pretty high metabolism rate.
So yes, a Fluval FX4 should get the job done pretty nicely for your 55 gallon tank.
But.....
I am a huge fan of keeping technical, electric stuff out of the interior of my aquariums. Meaning? I REALLY don't like putting those submersible electric heaters down into my tanks. So, before you commit to anything quite yet.... I would recommend you look into in-line electric heating units. Or even, all-in-one canister systems (Eheim - $$$). Those will definitely, Deliver the Goods. :cool:

Reactions: dustin.owens6
All good points above, from some very experienced aquarium keeping folks. To inform,
I recommended the in-line heating for your tank - mostly - because of the 3D, internal backdrop you asked about in another section of the forum. That is something decorative ($$$) that is not required or really even needed for an aquarium. Nope. They just look nice. So, the 3D background is a definite 'bonus' install for an aquarium. Will one be a nice visual touch? Just a little over the top?
Sure.
So, to that end, from an aesthetic point of view at least.... it makes total sense to remove as much of the 'wonky-looking' technical stuff out of an aquarium as possible with one of those, if you want to present the most natural looking, aquatic scene possible for that little glass box of yours. Plus,
Your internal 3D background could cause some problems if you decide to hide an electric submersible aquarium heater behind or around it somehow in an effort to minimize it's visual presence in your aquarium. With electric in-line heating mounted to the discharge hose of an (appropriate model) canister filter - or a full up, all-in-one canister filter with the heater built-in to the unit? The electric heating required to properly maintain your tropical Cichlids will never be seen in the tank.
And get this, those in-line or all-in-one electric heating system are a HUGE amount more efficient in heating the water of your aquarium, than just dangling a glass heating tube with an electric wire into the water of your tank will be!
So yes, by using something like that, you'll also save yourself some electric bill dollars to properly heat your aquarium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.