Cichlid Fish Forum banner

55 gallon standard filter recommendation?

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  MaKettle 
#1 ·
So I was thinking about just getting a Fluval FX4, even though it would be overkill by what I have read, but I also read it might actually be too much for that size tank. What are people running for cichlid 55g setups? I am not opposed to HOB as well, I just assumed canister would be better.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Would agree, what species are you looking at. Any system needs mechanical/biological and chemical filtration. Remember that water changes are an essential. The end point of any biological filter is the production of nitrate. I would recommend having a spare pump and a length of hose or getting something like a python so you do not need to carry heavy buckets off water. And plan a routine for Water changes .
Species I am not 100% sure on yet. since its a 55g I need keep to mid-size/smaller ones I would assume, but I want a lot of color as it's a display tank in our living room (this isn't my first ever tank just so people don't think I'm diving headfirst into fish with cichlids haha, I have a few 20/30g setups). As for a hose system, it would be nice but not necessary as its literally 2 doors and about 5' from outside.

But since this is my first time with cichlids, I do plan to ask a lot of questions on what fish people would recommend in the tank. I have decided on all males unless someone could convince me otherwise, and I do want an OB Peacock, so I guess I would be going peacock/haps for the setup. I don't want to get too far down the rabbit hole of fish yet though, unless that strongly determines the equipment needed to house cichlids from species to species, which is something I didn't think mattered to much as they are all heavy waste producers no?

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I have an FX4 on my 55 and I've been extremely happy with it. I do not regret it one bit.
Do you do anything specific to change the flow rate or will it be just fine on a 55? I am looking to pick up the FX4 this week.

Reactions: Midpredator
Discussion starter · #16 ·
Some individuals like Fluval. I am a die hard Eheim fan. The Aquaclear 110 is another tank of a filter that runs & runs. I am a big proponent of duplicity when it comes to filters. If that was my tank I would hang two Aquaclear 110's on it. If one goes down you still have a running filter and/or you can alternate cleaning filters so as not to mess up your denitrifiers. And different species produce different waste loads based on their size. I also don't like heaters in my tanks but I tend to gravitate toward heaterless tanks.
Dog Carnivore Plant Dog breed Companion dog

I had to come back to this comment and send a photo of my Aussie we just picked up, based on your username/photo. :) 9 weeks, named Jasper. This is why the 55g is a "work in progress" during the next few months haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.