Cichlid Fish Forum banner

55 gallon standard filter recommendation?

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  MaKettle 
@don.alcombright , an FX4 should be just fine as you can direct the output nozzles fairly well. Be sure it will fit inside your stand doors easily though before buying.

You can also do a couple of HOB filters if you didn't want to use a canister filter. I like the Aquaclear 110 models for 55G and up, reliable, easy to clean and you can add some media in a mesh bag.

@don.alcombright , when you are ready to think about stocking questions, post in the appropriate forum for suggestions though it sounds as if you are considering Lake Malawi cichlids.

Choosing filters really comes down to personal preference and what you want to spend; I too am a die hard Eheim Classic filter fan though I did have an FX5 on a 125G tank along with and Eheim 2260.

Cichlids generally produce more waste than typical tropical fish so that is something to keep in mind when choosing filters. It is also suggested that water changes are larger than typically seen on smaller tanks with smaller fish. My preference is 50% weekly water changes as it helps dilute liquid waste from the fish, adds some minerals back to the tank depending on your water source and the fish seem to enjoy clean fresh water.

Lugging five 5 gallon buckets of waste water outside and then five more buckets of clean water indoors to refill the tank gets old real fast. As @Patrick67 mentioned, the Python Drain and Fill product is an option but the same thing can be accomplished with a water bed drain/fill gadget and a water safe garden hose though you would need to add a shut off valve at the tank end of the hose and make a DIY PVC J-hook to hang on the tank for hands-free filling.

There is a Hydor ETH inline heater that works great for me though it is limited to certain hose sizes and you would need to DIY an option for the Fluval FX filter due to its hose diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.