Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 55 gallon and wanted to know if this setup sounds good. Any suggestions?

Substrate: river rock gravel
Plants: plastic
Filtration: wet/dry sump
Lighting: strip light
Rocks: slate I picked up from the rock yard
Background: none
Feeding: cichlid flakes

Fish:
2 male convicts(maybe a female)
2-3 electric blue jack dempseys
1 striped raphael catfish
1 pleco
1 green terror?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think you will be disappointed if you don't give the back a quick paint job before filling the tank. Whether to cover various equipment or just to stop seeing the wall behind, it makes a big difference many times. Kind of gives a screen on which to view the fish.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would go with finer substrate as the river rock gravel can be a detritus trap.

The wet/dry is nice but isn't neccessary, but if you already have the equipment, all the better.

You may end up wanting a background like PfunMo said but its really personal preference.

The cichlid flakes may get messy depending on the size of the fish adding to the detritus trapped in the river rock...

:wink:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
On the stocking list, I would wait and see. If those are the fish you want, I would go for it but watch closely. Could work but it is also a list that might not as they get larger. I never worry about future fish actions as they are so hard to predict. You may have to trade somebody but why turn down the pleasure of having them if it may work. Part of the fun IS in the experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts