Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55 gallon tank is now cycled, I moved my haps out to a new tank, now I have 4 species:
5 Ps. elongatus likoma(juvies m/f ??),
meloncromis auratas 3F,
P. Kenyi 1M:2f,
Labeo Trewavasea 1M.
I would like to get a male auratas and 2 female trew. and maybe 2 more females kenyis, any thoughts on the stock list here so far or ideas?? I have another smaller male kenyi but he got beat up first night in tank so he is recovering in my kids 10gallon community tank. He probably will not go back in the tank, seems happy were he is and doesn't bother anyone. =D>

·
Registered
466 Posts
Need more females which would take a bigger tank haha. Kenyi need more like 6 or 7 females for one male, and auratus are crazy aggressive, not sure about the other 2, but I'd be surprised if your tank last

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Try a 72" tank and keep three of those species. I've heard of members having long-term success with aggressive species like auratus in 6 foot tanks, or 8 feet is even better. But limit to three species and have at least seven females and one male of each.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi Nick,

I have to echo what the others have said. You have too many species (and too violent at that) for a 55 gallon.

Both the kenyi (Metriaclima lombardoi) and auratus (Melanochromis auratus) are beautiful, but far too aggressive and territorial for a 4' tank - don't be surprised if a male from either species claims the whole tank - leaving no room for males of other species or females that aren't willing to spawn - that means deaths.

Labeotropheus is a rather large cichlid for a 55 but you could do 1m/2f with the right tankmates.

I would try to remove the kenyi & auratus and replace with one docile species - Labidochromis caeruleus, L. sp. "perlmutt" or Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty cichlid).

kevin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I know they are "aggressive", I like aggressive fish, they have personality, I do not like fish that just float in place, Ie:milano haps, pretty yes but do nothing. The Kenyi's stay have a cave on the left side of the tankl they like, the auratas are on the opposite side in another rock/castle decor they love, the Psedo's are juvies and go all over but like the little dugouts under the rocks and the labeo thinks he's a kenyi and follows them around b/c they are same size ruffly, I have not experience this famous Kenyi aggression, in fact the first male I put in there was smaller than the current and he got beat up by everyone else, the new larger one is fine and alos leaves everyone else alone. My home(w/4kids and a wife) doesn't permit a 6ft tank, which around here is a 125gallon, not to mention these fish do not grow to maturity that fast and the cost of a 125, I found non used or on craigslist, is expensive (tank hood lights, filters,heaters, stand and decor) Thats over $1000, simply can't afford that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
How long have you had the tank up and running with the fish in it? My guess would be that you haven't had much aggression yet due to them still being juvies and to the tank being fairly new? All mbuna are aggressive, it's just that the "Kenyi" and "Auratus" are a lot more aggressive than your usual mbuna. Most people recommend putting them in a 75gal min (but preferably even a 6ft tank). They will (more than likely) end up killing the other fish and each other in a 55gal. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide :thumb: but I will "echo" what everyone else has said and look at rehoming the Kenyi/Auratus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts