Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an updated picture on my 55 Gallon Lake Malawi Tank. Changed around some of the rocks and have added/removed some fish. Current stock:
8 unsexed Yellow Labs (Juvies)
6 unsexed Yellow tail Acei (juvies)
3 unsexed Venustus
1 Male Red Empress
1 Male benga peacock
1 Male OB peacock
1 Male Blue Regal Peacock
1 Male Sulphur head peacock
1 Male Electric Blue Hap
1 Male Lemon Jake Peacock
1 Male Otopharynx lithobates

All fish are juvies except the Blue Regal peacock which is about 3 inches. Having lots of aggression in tank even though all the peacocks are males and the yellow labs and yellow tail Acei are supposed to be peaceful Mbuna.Also, every new fish I add gets ick (but only the new fish) so I've been treating ick for the past two weeks with Aquarium salt and an increase in temperature to about 83 F. My questions are: is it normal that the new fish I've added have gotten white spots but none of the old fish that were already in the tank? Also, looking at my current stocking, do you think the aggression will subside over time? Tank has been running just over a month and all fish except a couple are juvies.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
For all male in a 55G I would shoot for 8-10 males that mature <= 6".

That means remove the venustus and the empress and the lemon jake and the acei.

That should make things better. I would not expect aggression in the first month...it usually does not show up until around the 8 month mark.

It is not normal for all new fish to get ich. I have never had ich. You should quarantine any new fish for 3 weeks before adding them to an existing tank.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It will take a while for those fish to get too big for the tank, but I agree with DJ on the Venustus and Acei. Best to rehome them now because at some point they are going to get way too big for the 55g to be comfortable, especially the venustus. The empress I personally see no reason to remove. I've had a bunch of them and they almost never get over 5-6" max. Same with the lemon jake, they max out at 6". Only problem I have ever had with a lemon jake is that they can be a bit aggressive for a peacock.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Steve C said:
Same with the lemon jake, they max out at 6". Only problem I have ever had with a lemon jake is that they can be a bit aggressive for a peacock.
Plus one. It was the aggression in a 48x12 that I suspect could end up being a problem.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah it really is a shame that the Lemon Jakes are usually aggressive like that because they really are a great looking addition to a peacock tank. I also found the Lwanda to be the same way. Must be something about yellow & blue that makes peacocks jerks lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts