Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i was wondering if a 55 gallon tank with 2 rena xp2's and an aquaclear 50 would be fine for a single oscar?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oscars grow up to 14", give or take depending on the individual, and a 55 is 48x12". Most ppl recommend at least a 75 for a single species since the 18" depth gives the fish space to face out of the tank and turn around more comfortably.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, just keep the decor to a minimum, no plants, and avoid anything with a rough surface or a sharp edge. Even being little they still run into everything and find ways to hurt themselves if they dont have enough space.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hes about 2.5 inches right now, and *** got a pot in there with some river rocks over it to give him a hiding place and that is it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah that sounds good. I'd imagine you will have about 5 months before he is about 8 inches, so you should have sometime time to plan for your 75.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
He will be fine in a 55 as long as you are commited to frequent maintenance. A buddy of mine had a gorgeous 12 inch oscar in a 55.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the fish guy commented on my post! hahaha but no worries fish guy, my parents will buy a bigger tank for me when the time comes, i was just curious if the 55 was going to suit him or not. thanks for the replies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts