Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! This is my first post on this forum I am new here but not to raising African cichlids or aquariums in general. I was out of town last week and my wife contacted me and told me that our 55 gallons fish tank with leaking all over the floor. Fortunately we had a 10 gallons aquarium that has already been cycled that was used for our baby cichlids. She moved all 55 gallons worth of fish into the 10 gallons tank and then emptied all the water out of 55 gallons. She then took all of the gravel and put it into a bucket and kept the water that was in there covered until I got home that was to preserve some of the bacteria that has established the tank.
Purchased a 75 gallons replacement tank put the old gravel in there and then started running with the filters from the 55 gallons I have the water tested and it tested okay so I have moved my fish in there - things seem okay so far.
so here are my questions I need to replace both of the existing filters that I have for this new tank one of them has a broken impeller and is very crusty and the cost of an impeller is so much that I may as well just replace it.
the other filter does not properly hang over the edge of this larger aquarium so it is useless as well however I do have it rigged up so that I can use it to cycle the water through it to at least get some bacteria into the new tank water. it has been running like that for several days do you think that I can replace the filter with another one and then take the sponge from the dirty old filter and squeeze it underneath the intake tube of the new one to get the majority of that bacteria into the new filter or will this not work?
it is a little bit easier for the old crusty filter with the bad impeller because I am ordering the exact same one and will simply take my old filter media and put them into the new filter.
am I on the right track with this what do you all think thank you very much for your thoughts in advance I have never had to do anything like this before.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
Hi Scott and Welcome to C-F!!!

Sorry to hear about the leaky 55G tank but I think you and your fish will enjoy the more spacious 75G tank.

You shouldn't have a problem since the old filters are still being used and great idea to transfer old media to new filter. I would still keep an eye on the water parameters to monitor for a spike in ammonia and nitrite and if either happens, a 50% water change should help.

Can you post the brand and type test kit you are using as well as your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
Hi Scott and Welcome to C-F!!!

Sorry to hear about the leaky 55G tank but I think you and your fish will enjoy the more spacious 75G tank.

You shouldn't have a problem since the old filters are still being used and great idea to transfer old media to new filter. I would still keep an eye on the water parameters to monitor for a spike in ammonia and nitrite and if either happens, a 50% water change should help.

Can you post the brand and type test kit you are using as well as your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Thanks! Yah it was a bummer but I'm happy to upgrade and my fish seem to be too.
I got a new emperor 400 yesterday and installed it. I took the porous bio material from my old filter and put it into the media holders, also squeezed the old filter under the pickup to suck in the helpful bacteria. Everything seems ok today.
As for the test, it was done by Pet smart...it was .25 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 75 hardness, 0 chlorine, 40 alkalinity, 7 pH.
Please recommend a decent at home test kit, I'd like to monitor without driving into town.

I might actually make it through this without losing any fish!
Thanks
Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
I like the API Master test kit as it contains everything you need to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and both low and high pH. If this will be your first ever test kit, follow the instructions exactly for the different tests but especially for the nitrate test as it requires shaking the reagent bottles prior to testing.

As to the results from the PS tests, the lack of a reading for nitrate is a concern as there should be some level over zero for a properly cycled tank. It is possible you don't have nitrate due to the issues you had but also possible their testing was faulty.

The reading of ammonia could also be a problem for the same reasons I stated above.

Your pic does show quite a few fish in that tank, do you know how many fish you have?

Also, what product do you use for dechlorinating your tap water during a water change?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts