Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be using a Top Fin Power Filter 60, a Fluval 205 cannister filter, and a Top Fin 50 gallon power head for circulation.

I have a 55 gallon tank, and I was wondering if this was adequate for an African Mbuna tank?

Any tips, suggestions, comments are very welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You will be fine. A 55g only needs a filter that does about 300-400 gph max. So the canister filter alone is sufficient. As long as you change the water and gravel vac you don't need that much filtration. I ran my 55 gal with an aquaclear 50 for 3 years and did a water change every week. Never had a fish die and had 12 africans 3-6 inches each. Fed 3 times a day also. Shows that a little work goes a long way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had two 40- 60 gal Tetra Whisper dual overheads w. a fluval 205 and my water is always crystal clear. I had to replace an overhead because the motor wuold nut pull anymore, but i bought the tank and overheads used. A friend gave me a marineland dual 80 overhead and because of the biowheel i have many more air bubbles in the tank. Also the marineland is easier for filter changes because I dont have to insert carbon into them. I also have florida crished coral-shells in the bottom which Im told easily keeps the PH steady.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts