Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55gallon tank (4 ft. long) and have been giving thought to turning it into an all male tank. I’m being overrun with fry and have no place for them. I have a 30-gallon tank that is full of fry. I just noticed the other day that one of the labs in the fry tank is holding, so yeah, I’ve had them for a while. There are only 2 LFS here who will buy tank raised fish and they are constantly full of Africans and therefore every time I call they don’t have room for my fish. One store has offered that if I get stuck they may take some off my hands, but they’re not looking to get into something consistent. I gave thought to getting into shipping them but I’m currently attending grad school part time and working full-time. I just can’t make the commitment to being able to package fish and get them to the post office in time for specific next day deliveries etc. I have looked into fish clubs but there are none in my area. I have tried leaving the fry in my tank but they survive, recently pulled 15 Lab fry from the main tank. I've tried decreasing the rock work in order to give the fry fewer places to hide, but that just resulted in fights and injuries.

Current tank is 17 Demasoni and 6 Labs

I don’t want to get rid of my Cichlids and just do the regular community fish because I love these guys. So I am giving thought to an all male tank and need some advise from the knowledgeable people here on combinations, what may or may not work, personal experiences etc.

The fish I have now are the Demasoni, Labs, and Acei-So I want to work off those three.

Here are some thoughts I had on combinations:

Demasoni
Lab
Yellow Tail Acei
Acei Ngara (can I do the two Acei since they look different?)
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Red Zebra (can I do a red and OB Zebra?)
Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
Cynotilapia afra (Lundu) (Do these guys look too much like the Demasoni?)
Labidochromis sp. "Hongi" (SRT) Red Top

Any other suggestions?

-Also, about how many males should I have in the tank to disperse aggression (basing the number on adult sizes)? I have an Aqua Clear 110 and a Rena XP2. As of now I do twice a week 40% water changes so that’s not a problem.

-In an all male tank, do the males show off their colors like they would in a tank with females or will I have a tank with a few colored up males and the rest wth drab coloring?

I realize that to do the all male tank I’ll probably have to order a lot of the fish. I plan on doing some research and when possible buy fish that are a little older and confirmed males.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Certain fish are notorious for having problems coloring up when in the presence of more dominant males. Afra Cobue come to mind. Not sure about the Hongi.

I think you are better with only one zebra but maybe someone who has tried it can contribute. What about Cynotilapia sp. hara Gallireya Reef?

Also I wonder if you could add a few Victorians? They have some really cool males...Astatotilapia latifasciata and Pundamilia Nyererei, etc.

I'd probably shoot for 15 or more if a lot of them are dwarf.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've got 3 Synodontis Cats and fry are not an issue, this is very much by design - as I was once in your situation with yellow labs. Even with Ps. Acei females now spitting like clockwork - only a single fry has ever made it past a day or two. That fry has made to just about 5/8 in - I don't know if he will last but he sure knows how to hide!

What about a natural solution if you like what you have except for the fry 'problem'?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard of people keeping Synodontis for fry control...for a 55 gallon how many would I need? My concern is, the tank already has 24 fish and 1 Pleco (and i was planning on adding one more female lab as the male is getting larger and more dominant), and I've read that the Synodontis can get up to about 6".

Maybe I will look into them, I've never seen them in any stores here, I'll have to do some on-line research. Like i said i've heard of people using them but i guess i never thought that they could provide that much fry control. Is there a certain type of Synodontis that I should look for?

DJRansome
I have no experience with Victorians, I'll have to look at them later, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Syno multipunctatus and syno petricola (now lucipinnis?) don't get too big. They are a great enhancement to a tank, IMHO. I have four in a 58 gallon. They appear to like groups, so I would think a minimum of 3. I have two baby labs out of two "spits" that have survived and only because I built them a "fry pile"

I have an all male peacock/hap tank excdept for the labs. I can't speak to an all male mbuna tank. An all male peacock/hap tank is quite nice, though . . .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks-the person I bought my Demasoni from offers both the Syno multipunctatus and Syno petricola. I e-mailed him so I think I'm going to try this idea.

The all male Mbuna tank kinda scares me and I really do like my set up now. I wouldn't even mind the fry if I could find someone to consistently take them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts