Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here begins my saga of my 55 gallon, I got the tank itself about a week ago, for free, from someone I knew who hadn't used it in a while... Had no idea what to expect, here's what I got...

And that pic was taken AFTER I emptied out over 100 lbs of sandstone and beach pebbles (and pens, and coins, and dust, and animal hair, and fish food dated 1993) from the tank... Just lots of hard water stains...

This is the tank after I had finally eradicated the hard water stains and filled it to make sure it held water (the date on the tag said "All Glass Aquarium - April 23rd 1983")

This is the stand after I sanded it down with a steel wool (it was COVERED in rust and animal hair) and re-painted it with "Rustolium Rust Stopper Flat Black"

The next day I flat black-ed the back of the tank (and got it back onto the porch no more than 5 minutes before a thunderstorm hit - whew!!)

And today, I did the big switch! Took out my 37 gallon and 20 long, took the stand out, put the 55 in it's place and put the 20 long back under, and re-set up both tanks!

Here are the end results... Just need a new 48" light

Day time...

Night Time

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a few cichlids to grow out in it and see which one will work best :)

Would love to hear your thoughts :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks Great!!! Love the sand and driftwood

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So have you decided on which cichlids? The tank looks good for being 28. Good job! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sjwrx said:
Looks Great!!! Love the sand and driftwood
Thanks!

So have you decided on which cichlids? The tank looks good for being 28. Good job!
Thanks about the tank!! And yeah, I will be picking up a 3" true texas cichlid tomorrow (shooting for a male), though they have a really pretty 2" flowerhorn that I've been eyeing... I won't be getting the FH tho lol. Either way the 1" convict is going to be there for now, Aiming to have the Texas and maybe the convict depending on how things go.

Stock list...

1 (male) texas (cyano)
1 (unsexed) baby convict
1 spotted raphael
6 gold danios

Been looking at a 3" orange seam pleco at the LFS too... thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Cyano is what you chose, I was wondering if you were gonna pick that or the carpintis. Hope it grows a big kok for you. Can't wait to see those pics of that Texas. :popcorn:

·
Registered
291 Posts
you did a nice job of cleaning that up, looks like a great set up. and as long as the silicone wasn't flaking or missing i think the tank should be fine. with all that stuff you had to take out of it, was there any scratches in the glass?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ebjdftw said:
you did a nice job of cleaning that up, looks like a great set up. and as long as the silicone wasn't flaking or missing i think the tank should be fine. with all that stuff you had to take out of it, was there any scratches in the glass?
Nope the glass is still fine, i was pretty careful taking out all the rocks and gravel, I used a pot scrubber (not steel wool) to get the hard water stains out using CLR with a thorough rinse afterwards. And I checked the silicone before I filled and it was still all intact, no flakes :)

And thanks Bill!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm hoping for a big nuchal hump, and I'll post pics later today of the fish. Btw how does my Stocklist look that I posted earlier?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the texas today, he(??) is about 3.5", pretty stressed from going warehouse to store to my tank... Will take pics when he's acclimated, but he's getting the lay of the land, and has some red teeth :lol:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, how long should it be until he is "settled in" - a few days?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K here he is - he's still settling in but he came out to eat some NLS... Check out the creeper in the background haha

and then the unthinkable... the spotted raphael emerges!

Oh and my 48" fixture works now... here's the 48" light, do you like the 4ft light or the 30" light?

48"

30"

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks flipper!

Ps - should add a poll - 48" fixture or 30" fixture? Just curious...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Thanks flipper!

Ps - should add a poll - 48" fixture or 30" fixture? Just curious...
I personally would go with the 48". really depends on taste and what type of light. Are you going with t8,t5,LED,doubles???

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the bulbs that are in the standard aqueon fixtures, but this one is a perfecto setup with a phillips T12 40 watt, should I be changing that bulb for something else?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like I'd need to replace the whole fixture haha, well I'm gonna switch them back and forth to see which one shows off the colors on the texas the best over the next few days...

1 - 20 of 121 Posts