Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal tank (48w x12d x18h) with 7 Boesemani Rainbows,(1 1/2 in) 1 Geophagus Heckelii (2 1/2 - 3 in) & 1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (1 1/2 in). Please let me know your opinions on my wish list. Thanks.

1) Super Red Severum
2) Another Heckelii or Geophagus Surinamensis (maybe 2)
3) Gold Nugget Pleco & maybe a snowball pleco

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'd remove the Heckelii all together. EBJD's are notoriously weak fish. They should be raised in a species only tank untill they are of a significant size. If they are going to be kept in a community tank, they should be the top fish in the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeadFishFloating,

What do you mean when you say "the top fish in the tank"? Also, could you please expain or point the way to understand that EBJD's are "weak". I've had both the Heckelii & the EBJD for 6 weeks now & they take turns chasing each other. In fact, I have been told on another forum to rehome the EBJD because he will terrorize the Heckelii. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, but I am rather new to the hobby. ( And getting more & more obsessed every day!!!)

Could you please comment on my wish list?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would add the sev and plecos and see how it goes. I do wish your tank was a 75g though

....Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill. I wish it could be larger too! It was given to me so I couldn't pass it up. I have been told that as long as I keep up with the water changes weekly, I will be ok.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
EBJD's are notoriously weak fish, as in weak constitution. I have read many reports of juvenile EBJD's dying from stressful situations. A normal adult JD would possibly dominate an adult Heckelii, but size does mater at the juvenile stage. The Heckelii is almost twice the size of the EBJD and it will probably reach a mature size faster than the EBJD. At this point aggression will become more than just gill flaring and some non contact chasing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree with DeahFishFloating, EBJDs tend to be less aggressive than regular JDs and also prone to dying suddenly until they reach about 3 inches. Or course each individual fish is different but thats been my general experience with them.

Now I don't really know much about the other fish so I would just suggest you keep an eye on the tank and make sure nothing gets out of hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts