Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm New to this forum, I just wondering some good stocking ideas for a Mbuna 55 Gal with a fluval 404. I was looking at 6 PSEUDOTROPHEUS SP. ELONGATUS "CHEWERE" (1-2 males Rest Female) and 6 PSEUDOTROPHEUS FLAVUS (Same ratio m/f) there is a chance I may inherit a parrot and i'm wondering if this will be ok to keep in the tank, hes currently locked up in a 14 gal at my school :(. I also need to know good ideas for hiding places that are preferably on the cheap, Im thinking about using a bunch of flower pots (Ceramic) as a sort of rock wall with a ton of hiding. this will be my first Chichlid Tank and I'm Exited to keep them! Let me know how my stocking sounds and if I can keep anything else!

-Thanks In Advance, Billy :fish: :fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Those fish are both pretty aggressive and I would stick to 1m:7f of each. Also females are not as pretty as the males. I'd skip the parrot with mbuna.

Flower pots work, but you might find rocks even cheaper...try a landscape supplier.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Peacocks instead of mbuna? Most do not mix well. Peacock females are also not colorful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok! What sort of specie/genus (Idk much abt that) of mbuna are ok to mix Psudeotrophius,Cynotalapia,labs,Metriaclima, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
They are cool. So for a 55G think in terms of 15 fish. You could go 2 species with 1m:7f of each. Yellow labs would be nice with the Cynotilapia. The proper name is Cynotilapia sp. hara...they are not afra like some other Cynotilapia.

Or you could do 3 species with 1m:4f of each. What about rusties for the 3rd species?

You want different genera and fish that look nothing alike. You already have your blue and yellow...#3 should not be blue or yellow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts