Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the article says
Select any 3 species (max 12 fishes):
• Pseudotropheus saulosi
• Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
• Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
• Labidochromis caeruleus
• Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
• Labidochromis chisimulae
• Iodotropheus sprengerae
• Cynotilapia zebroides
Do not mix any Labidochromis species.
Choose only one blue barred species.

We like P. Saulosi. They list C. zebroides and L. Hongi in this list and different species but both barred, are they suitable tankmates along with the Saulosi?

Departing from the list can a OB Zebra or C. Hara reside with Saulosi's?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thing off to me on the Cookie Cutter list the Acei. When doing searches here most state they get to big for a 55. How long before they grow to 5-6"?
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
AV8TOR said:
Another thing off to me on the Cookie Cutter list the Acei. When doing searches here most state they get to big for a 55. How long before they grow to 5-6"?
Thanks
A couple of years.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,519 Posts
I would skip acei in a 55G.

You would choose one blue barred species from the list...so saulosi OR Cynotilapis OR hongi.

I would not mix saulosi and Metriaclima estherae...to me the yellow-orange colors do not give enough contrast. But it could be done.

I tried hara with other blue barred fish and found they did not color up to their potential. Great color in a tank without other blue barred fish however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the look of a heavy stock but finding it hard to come up with a stocking list.
Before I went Reef my 120 was a Hap tank. Much easier to stock. We're retired now and this 55 was the wife's planted tank before we moved.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,519 Posts
Since you like the blue barred fish, what about 3m:9f saulosi and 1m:4f Labidochromis perlmutt or 1m:4f Labidochromis caeruleus Nkhata Bay or Iodotrohpeus sprengerae?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
Since you like the blue barred fish, what about 3m:9f saulosi and 1m:4f Labidochromis perlmutt or 1m:4f Labidochromis caeruleus Nkhata Bay or Iodotrohpeus sprengerae?
Thanks that with the Rusty is one of my considerations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is off the list but a combo my wife and I like but unsure of compatibility

Metriaclima sp. elongatus usisya
Yellow Labs
Rusty
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,519 Posts
Might work but the elongatus are more aggressive...you want 1m:7f for those and females are drab. I usually like 48x18 for them, but worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
Might work but the elongatus are more aggressive...you want 1m:7f for those and females are drab. I usually like 48x18 for them, but worth a try.
<vendor name removed> lists them as Not Overly Aggressive
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top