Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
I just got my hands on a 55 and need to set it up. I'm thinking black gravel to show off color.
I was leaning toward the Prestige Assortment from www.bluegrasscichlids.com.
How many fish would be good? I would like lots of color and a peaceful coexistence among the inhabitants.
Do you folks recommend an assortment like this or should I pick and choose individual species.
Thanks in advance for your advice.\\ :fish:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I checked out the mixes like you mentioned but decided against it. I just got a 55 gallon and will be setting it up soon. I am new to cichlids but from everything I have read and heard most don't advise these mixes. Cichlids need to be kept in breeding groups or all male. In my 55 I am going to have 3 species:
Cynotilapa Afra Cobue-Qty 6
Lab. Species to be determind-Qty 6
Pseudo. Saulosi-Qty 6
I think a big problem with the mix could be quantities. You could end up with several species and if you go out and but the numbers/ratios you need you'll have more fish than a 55 can handle. I would personally just pick the 3 or so species that you like. I am new here. I am sure others with more experience will join in. Good luck and definitely check out the 55 gallon cookie cutter section. It helped me decide what I was going to stock.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I highly recommend NOT to go with the "assortment".

You'd fare much better with the tank if you picked 2 or 3 species that you really like and have breeding groups of them, or even an all male tank by selectively choosing the fish that you want.

If you go with an assortment or "grab bag" of fish, you may receive species that aren't even compatible with each other or your tank size for long term.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you're only going to go with one species, I would go with more...Perhaps 20-25, if you have adequate filtration. If you're going to add another species, I'd go with 15 demasoni.

You want to make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding any fish!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cichlidaholic said:
If you're only going to go with one species, I would go with more...Perhaps 20-25, if you have adequate filtration. If you're going to add another species, I'd go with 15 demasoni.

You want to make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding any fish!
Great! If I go with 15, what species would be compatible?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Posts have been deleted that belong in the review section. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Are you interested in breeeding GOLDTOPPER?
Demasoni breed like flies and cross breeding is notorious within the african cichlid world.
Nothing a few syno. cats won't fix but if you are planning on breeding us good folks on the site can advice you on what to look at :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.