Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on ebay and seen 1 piece of Texas holey rock that weighed 50 lbs., wouldn't you be worried that you would drop it and shatter your tank . I mean, how would gently place a 50 lb rock into your tank?

·
Registered
376 Posts
eagl97 said:
I was on ebay and seen 1 piece of Texas holey rock that weighed 50 lbs., wouldn't you be worried that you would drop it and shatter your tank . I mean, how would gently place a 50 lb rock into your tank?
ask your fish nicely .they will hold the bottom of that rock for you and put it in ... :lol:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Go on a 6 week weight training course. Then after that, as you lower it into the tank, keep thinking about how it will shatter your glass if you drop it. Or, share the stress with a friend and keep telling each other that if you drop it you could get seriously cut. Or, you could chicken out and bust the holey rock into managable pieces.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UMphreak how's your back feeling.

I was just thinking tie a couple of ropes through the holes and lower it in hoping the holes don't break. Am I right, just an idea. :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just went and bought 5 pieces of rock today. 120 lbs total. I think the biggest is about 40-50 lbs. just lowered it in with my string bean arms. Looks so nice with the big rock dwarfing my little 55g tank.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe my idea was stupid I didn't even consider the rock swingiing and hitting the side glass I was only thinking about the bottom glass.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The good news is, once it's lowered into the water it will feel considerably lighter.... Some one with my physics experiance than I can tell you exactly how much.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, well you could always call a really strong guy/buddy you know, or a weightlifter, or a big, bulky, muscular guy to come put it in for you.. :lol: hey, it could work.. :D

Somehow manage to get insurance on your tank, so when you are putting it in, if it broke the tank (dropped..etc...) insurance replaces it. :lol: 8)

(just an idea)
OR......If you were building a DIY tank, you could cut all your pieces of stuff, and set rock(s) (heavy ones) on future bottom of tank, and build a tank AROUND the rocks. lol. :?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
fishyfishyfishy said:
You could put it in a heavy duty garbage bag, some sort of canvas tote bag, wrap it in a towel etc....anthing that will make it easier to hold and allow you to place it on the bottom safely.
Ding, Ding, Ding!
Best answer so far! That way if you should drop it or hit the side it would be cushioned!
"Brilliant!"

·
Registered
29 Posts
put egg crate on bottom to help support and spread out the weight, if you drop it the egg crate will absorb most of the impact

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hoosier Tank said:
fishyfishyfishy said:
You could put it in a heavy duty garbage bag, some sort of canvas tote bag, wrap it in a towel etc....anthing that will make it easier to hold and allow you to place it on the bottom safely.
Ding, Ding, Ding!
Best answer so far! That way if you should drop it or hit the side it would be cushioned!
"Brilliant!"
I'm going to use this method for the new rocks I'll be hunting for this coming weekend!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use egg crate on the bottom of my 55. I have an approx. 75lb single piece of lace rock. No problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 5 rocks atleast 50 pounds in my tank and 3 more around the 20-35 pound mark.

here's a couple pictures, use eggcrate and take off all tops and lights when lowering into the tank.

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts