Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum, and I need helping deciding what to keep. I have a 50 gallon corner tank that has recently become available as the last surviving member of a group of convicts that I got about ten years ago decided she was done. I have torn down, resealed and reset the tank, it is filled with water, filters are running, and the temp is at a solid 78. I use treated tap water for water changes, and my tap water is ideal for Africans and some CAs (liquid rock as they say). I was thinking about A. maylandi or A. kandeense, but I haven't kept many Malawi cichlids before, and I'm not sure about stocking numbers etc. I'm really looking for good color for this tank, as it is in my living room, and is the first tank that any guests see. The only thing I DO NOT want to keep are angels, sorry folks but angels just don't do it for me, I know that the tank would be great for a trio or so of angels, but it's not going to happen, sorry :wink: . So, color, lower aggression due to size of corner tank, and not angels. Let me know what you would put in the tank... Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I had a 45 corner that was basically a 24" cube, and I stocked it with all male mbuna. I was constantly removing super aggressive or damaged fish, and I had to stack rocks to the top to get any of them to get along! Wouldn't do it again.

The haps just get way too big, look for something that stays small.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, didn't think to add dimensions it's basically a "cube" of about 27" on all sides. Aggression is my main concern as well. Of course, when I put the group of cons in the tank I didn't really know any better, but they did well together and had fry constantly without murdering one another, but I think that was beginners luck. Thanks again for any input.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You've got a tough set of demands for your tank dimensions. You might be able to get away with an all male peacock set up of 3-4 smallish passive auloncaras, but honestly most peacocks, and haps for that matter, are going to want to have a little more open water swimming room than your tank can offer. You'll also have to keep an eye on aggression and may have to switch a species out here and there if they get too agressive.

Your tank just doesn't have enough space for a fish to get away from an aggressive pursuer.

Definitely don't try an all-male mbuna, that's a recipe for headache and disaster.

You might be able to get away with a small harem of a relatively low-aggression dwarf mbuna and a couple small group of 4 or so synodontis catfish (Lucipinnis or Petricola). Maybe 1 male & 3 females of Pseudotropheus Saulosi, but with less than 3 feet of room you may end up with some overly harassed females. Even mild mbuna are a lot more aggressive than regular tropicals.

I think Lake Tanganyika as more than a few fish that will work in your set up, but many of them won't pass your 'colorful' requirement.

Maybe check on the Lake Tanganyika forum for some suggestions there. Good luck, whatever you choose!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's a tough tank to work with. It's also one of the first two tanks I got when I started keeping fish again, so it's hard for me to get rid of it. I wouldn't mind tangs, I was just under the impression that tangs were really aggressive, more so even than the Malawi cichlids.Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I've never kept tangs, but there are some small breeds that sound pretty interesting to watch. They do seem kind of drab for the most part.

I like the sound of saulosi, maybe a group of labidichromis? My synodontis cats don't take any flak from my cichlids, but they're not out much when the lights are on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts