Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 50 gal, i really dont know what direction im heading in nor do i know what direction i wanna head in (suggestions welcomed), this will be my 1st ever cichlid tank/overall..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i wanted to put 3 clown loches, 3 peacocks, 4 yellow labs (after hearing my tank is too small for oscars) and
if you have any suggestions as to what i should stock.
the tank is cycling right now...
ANY pointers or tips at all would be greatly appreciated GREATLY!
thanks -jasson

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am usuing an aquaclear for 55 (200), but im thinking about getting another because my water is still cloudy 3 days later.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There are many possibilities for your 50 gal, if you want some really bright colors, look at fish from lake malawi, if you care less about color, and want fish with some very interesting behavior, there is a lot of fish from tanganyika.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ya! haha that cat is like, "Ahhhh, I see potential; The potential for a snack!"

For a 50 gallon tank, you have a lot of options! I love Oscars, because of their personality, their looks, their crazy eating habits, and pretty much everything else.

Honestly, I'd go for a mid sized South American/Central American tank if I were you. Hmmm, if I had that tank, here's what I'd put:
-1 Turquoise Severum
-1 Black Convict
-8 Buenos Aries

The Severum is a somewhat shy species, and it likes the top.
Buenos Aires are pretty tough, and get to a good size near 3 inches, and likes the middle of the tank
The Convict is a little more aggressive, and gain personalities like Oscar. They usually like the bottom

If you'd like a little more peaceful tank, maybe go for an Angel based setup.
-2 Angels
-Trio of Swordtails (I like Neon Swordtails best)
-School of hardy and colorful tetras, that wont fit in your Angel's mouths
-6 Emerald or Green Corys.

You'd be suprised at how much personality Angels actually have! Mine beg like puppies, and like to play peek-a-boo with me. Swordtail fry (if they breed) would be snacks for the Angels (which is very good!). Tetras will just give the tank a little more liveliness, and color. The Corys would eat all the stuff that the other fish missed, but you should give them sinking food as well.

Look up "Aqadvisor" in Google. You'll get a cool stocking calculator there. It may be a little inaccurate sometimes, but it will give you warnings on what not to put together.

GOOD LUCK! Post some pics when you decide! :dancing:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scarhbar That's a really neat tool, but every fish i chose it gave me a warning and too many red signs so I am going to wing it here.

1x frontosa
3x thropheus duboisi
3x clown loach
1x convict

:) i hope that will work? if not correct me where i can make some adjustments and what fish really shouldn't be in my tank at all if its really that bad.

thanks for all the help guys.
also i now have two 50 gal aqua clear filters :)

im still in the cycle process, but i will post pics when i get my fish.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
shellies215 said:
I would not advise putting a frontosa in that tank.
+1

They get too big.

I've also heard Tropheus really isn't for rookie cichlid keepers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glaneon rookie? it don't understand how much more can there be to keeping fish

maintaining all the tank peramiters at the fishes likings.
and doing your water changes also to the fishes likings...

if you could explain further...
I am extremly inlove with frontosas and tropheus.
what are an "easier" group of cichlids to take care of?

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you want frontosa, get a 240 gallon tank. If you want to try tropheus, the duboise are one of the easier species to keep, but I would switch the gravel out for sand, get another 100 lbs of rocks like the ones you have, and start with 8 duboise, forget the loaches and convict.

·
Registered
656 Posts
clown loaches get fairly large, and like the tropheus species, do well in groups. 8 is the min. size group I would recommend for tropheus, and that fully stocks a 50 gal. Actually, many people would say that tank is too small for 8, but I think it can be done if you keep up on the water quality.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For a 50, true.

I know a friend that has a 10" loach in his 125 (which, is a different story), gets along famously. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I set up my tanks, I try to reduce as much as possible the amount of chemicals and buffers I have to add to the water in order to maintain the water chemistry to the fish liking and reduce my work load. In addition more stable water equals better fish health.

If you are going to go with primarily african cichlids, then I would recommended a substrate and rocks that will maintain alkalinity. In a 55G I would recommend mbuna especially yellow labs and also peacocks, and a sydonostis. They are a lot of fun and your mbunas will breed. The only thing is to avoid WWIII in your tank, I would add significantly more rocks.

If you are going to stay away from a high ph water and keep your current substrate, I would recommended clown loaches, angles and severums. If you can find one I would go for a gold severum, rather than a green one (my personal preference). All of these grow large, so you can can't get too many with a 55G tank.

I have had both similar setups in a 55G and it worked great.

I would stay from the frontosa (I love them), for three reasons, they are happiest in larger groups, and a single one will likely be stressed out and not eat. The also grow very large. The Tropheus are great but very challenging. I have been at this for years, and I'm not sure I would get a Tropheus tank.

When setting up your tank, also think about what mood you want it to be, with mbuna, movement will be fast, there will be fights and stress. With angels and severums things will be slow and gracious.

The other thing I would consider is adding to your filter. I think yours is a HOB, I would add a good canister filter. The more filtration the better not just for fish health but also maintenance work.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lucrent
Thanks man, i kind of came to that decision last night, yellow labs and peacocks with 1 pleco.
i am for sure going to add ALOT more hiding spots :)

actually my filtration is really good, i now have two 50 gallon HOB filters, so i should be good with filtration.

i also had a question..
when i do a water change, would it be a good thing if i put cycled water from someone else's tank? to help the cycle process along?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can use water from another tank (disease free), that will certainly help, even better though, and easier to transport, would be some of his filter material, unrinsed, that you could place inside your HOB filter.

If you will be going with african cichlids, then you'll need something to maintain your PH. I would suggest some texas holey rock, you can read more from this article.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tx_holey_rock.php

I would recommend that you also read this article

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l ... _setup.php

before you get started, it has all the info you need about PH, buffers, water changes etc...

For faster growth and happy cichlids, change 30% your water weekly.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
lucrent said:
I would recommended a substrate and rocks that will maintain alkalinity
I used to recommend the same thing thinking it was more natural, less of a shock during a change. Unfortunately with our water change schedule (most do 50%/week) it doesn't give the substrate/rocks time to leach into the water.

It's so much cheaper (and effective on multiple levels) to just add a few tablespoons of baking soda (~1tbsp/15 gallons if your tap water is roughly 7.0) to get to pH of 8.2. It also raises your KH (to keep your pH from dropping).

The water itself will be of minimal (almost no) use to helping cycle the tank - as Lucrent said though, getting filter material is great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so since i will be keeping yellow labs and peacocks...

i should keep my ph between 7.0 and 8.0?
what about the rest of my tank peramiters?
i know my temp is good at 76 and my water is still kind of hard
where should the rest be?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts