Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my fish in the mail. :fish: All were alive and healthy! :thumb: I had ordered as follows:
* white top hara-6
* yellow lab-8
* maingano-8
* white tail acei-8
He only had 6 white top hara, 2 of which were male. So I told him send them my way. All others he said he could sex as well, even at a young age. He told me he was pretty good at it, so I took his word! Now I had him send me 2 males of each species just incase if a fish died during shipping and it was a male I wouldn't be SOL!
Right when he was dropping them off at the shipping carrier, he called to tell me he was dropping them off and what time to expect them. He also called to tell me he threw in 2 more white top hara, which he got from a fellow breader over night! He also said he threw in a "mystery fish".

So they showed up alive and healthy!
* Mainganos size: 2" (all of them)
* yellow labs: 1 1/4" (all of them)
* White Top Hara: (1)@3/4" , the rest 1 1/4" to 1 3/4"
* White Tail Acei: 1" to (2)@2"
Now the extra fish is:
Demasoni @ 2" ( he or she looked not to bad, but a little ruffed up)

Now my main question is-
What do I do with the Demasoni?
Can I keep it or will there be a problem down the road?
If it is male, will he want to breed with lets say the White Tail Acei females.
Or do I just sit back and see what happens.
Is it a problem having a single fish from a species with 4 breeding groups.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Demasoni aggression is typically always focused at their own species... A good rule of thumb is to keep 1 or 12+.

I would keep him until he gave me reason to get rid of him. They are cool fish. The Hara males will keep him in check more than likely.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
You would not be able to save any fry from the tank though, and you would have to "deal" with any survivor fry. That male will just grab one or more of the other females to spawn with...he will not remain celibate, LOL.

My demasoni males keep the hara in check, not vice versa. It was a LONG time (two years) before my hara would even color up at all in the demasoni tank.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
First of all - good point about the cross - breeding.

My demasoni males keep the hara in check, not vice versa. It was a LONG time (two years) before my hara would even color up at all in the demasoni tank.
This just goes to show that every tank is different as I had the exact opposite experience... Within minutes of adding 12 Hara to my tank heavily populated with Demasoni, the dominant male took over & hasn't given any ground since... As they have matured, there are now 2 that color pretty much all of the time. They are all around 2" right now. I guess time alone will prove if they remain that way..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not for sure yet that the Demasoni is male!
Let's say after I sex the Demasoni and it's female, would it be alright in the tank then!

And lets say for some reason it would have babies.... I just wouldn't keep those fry!

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Yes that works better. Still, you could only save fry from females you remove from the tank to spit or be stripped elsewhere. Because with survivor fry you would not know which mother it came from and the baby becomes a hybrid suspect. :?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Guess u will have to setup another tank n get more dems. :thumb:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so.... the Demasoni I got is acting a little weird compaired to all the other cichlids. He/she is the only 1 who does not swim around. It is always sitting on the bottom corner of the tank.
I'm kinda wondering if it wasn't one that was getting treated as an outcast.
What I mean is I think it wasn't welcome in the demasoni holding tank, so thats why he "threw" it in for free.
I noticed it looked a little beat up when all of them showed up in the mail. The demasoni really didnt look all that hot compaired to all the other fish.

Do you think I should give it a little time and see how it does, or what should I do with it.
I have a community fresh water tank(29G) with some (5)tetras,(4)ghost glass cats,(1)redtailed shark,(1)gouramis. The only thing the ph for that tank is around 8.0, from 8.3(in the cichlid tank). The kh is 7, from 13(in the cichlid tank)
I also have a 10G with 1 gold fish in it. The water specs would be right around the same as the 29G.
My GF wants me to do whatever I can to try and keep it.

I'm just hoping it's not sick or anything!!!!!and that's why it's not moving around all that much.

Any suggestions would be super, because I really need to find out what's going on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH!!!!!!!! Ill try and get a picture of it really soon. It isn't in the corner of the tank right now so I can't get a shot of it!

I was also going to try and net it when I fed the fish today but it didn't come out! I want to sex it so I know for sure if it can stay in there! If it's a male it's going somewhere or another.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Is it eating? If he was looking a little beat up and still is, you may be right, he may be stressed and susceptible to illness if he is not already sick.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Man, is it just me? I wouldn't be happy with getting a "mystery" fish I didn't order :lol:

Good luck with it :thumb:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not to hi jack the thread, but if you had a breeding group of Dems and Hara together, my understanding was that they generally don't interbreed....am I wrong about this....DJ, is the difference here that the 'lone male' won't remain celibate but if he had his own females he would be happy enough to leave the hara females alone....the only reason I ask is I planned on stocking Dems, hara, labs, and Acei.

to the OP, let me know if it works well for you as I love Mainganos as well.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
If a fish has his own females, he will always be more likely to spawn with them than others. I have demasoni and hara together...they really look as different as two blue barred fish can look. One is more on the white-looking side...one more black-looking. Wide bars versus narrow. White fins versus black. Few bars versus many. But it did take a LONG time for the cyno's to color up...I had almost given up.

To me the hara and acei look more alike than the hara and demasoni.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Eoconnor,

I have Labs, Dems, Hara, & Acei 'Ngara' & Johanni in a 180. All have spwaned with their own species except that the Hara... I am starting to think that is due to an overabundance of males & too few females. I came home this evening to 4 Hara males completely colored. That was a first in my tank. I was hoping that more would be female but it isn't looking like it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So... Now I think the Demasoni may be holding. I will know for sure after I do my water change tomorrow and catch it to sex it!!!!!

So my guess would possibly I got sent a Demasoni that was holding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
So my guess would possibly I got sent a Demasoni that was holding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or it may have spawned with something in your tank?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts