Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stocked my 75 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago with white labs, red zebras, yellow tail acei, and cynotilapia zebroides lundo reef. The yellow tail acei and red zebras are all about 2 inches long the white labs and cynotilapia are 1.25 to 1.5 inches. 6 days after stocking one of the cynotilapia suddenly died. I looked over and he was just floating dead. Since then I have lost more fish 1 every day or 2. It first it was only the cynotilapia that were dying but now one of the white labs have died too. Most of them I have found dead when I get home from work. They will be mostly eaten by the time I get them out. I started treating with api general cure on Wednesday. I haven't seen any overt attacking or damage being done. I'm really at a loss to what the problem is. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate 7.2ph. I know the ph is not ideal but I figured they would adapt. The tank is aquascaped with flagstone from a local landscape yard. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
They might eventually adapt...but usually if you are going to try to get them to adapt, you first match the pH at the fish store, and then gradually lower the pH with weekly water changes. Don't change pH dramatically (more than 0.02 per day would be dramatic). Matching parameters closely is important during water changes.

Are they eating? Any spots? Are the feces thick and food colored or thready and clear or white?

When aggression is the cultrit, it usually is not an overt attack but relentless chasing. No fins nipped or split? Scales missing? Fish lurking under the surface or behind/near heaters or filter intakes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are eating, no spots, feces is thready and white. One cynotilapia shows some tail damage but that's it. A fish will begin to hide a little and look weak or unbalanced and then the next day he will be dead.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
Try Epsom salt for constipation. If they are eating it is not bloat.

Note that Epsom salt will increase pH and hardness so add it gradually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts