Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an extra 5.5g and decided to keep ghost shrimp in them. Is there any special requirements for keeping them and breeding them? I purchased 32 of these guys and plopped them in the tank with a heater and and a HOB.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I keep cherry shrimp and really do not need to do much for them except feed once or twice a week. They like clean water and breed constantly.

I have a few fish that got smart and wait by the returns for any that get into the pump well and sent up to the DT. :lol:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you feed shrimp? I should of thought about that. I never see cherry shrimp anywhere, I have looked in the lfs and they only have glass and ghosts shrimp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feed my ghost shrimp flake food. they just scavenge what they like where they like really. though i will say 5.5 gal is very small for that many shrimp. expect some epic wars over food.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah well one of the shrimp died and the rest of the shrimp cleaned up the corpse. :lol: so I guess I will let them weed thru the weak. Is there anything special needed to rid parasites of ghost shrimp? They were purchased from my lfs and came out a community tank that was loaded with ghost shrimp and mollies. I just don't want to feed them to my other fish till I know they are safe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i dont know of much medicines that work on ghost shrimp. lots of good fish meds kill them though. a good thing to do if they're gonna be feeders is feed them what you want your fish to eat and then when they eat the ghost shrimp they in turn eat that as well.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Look for cherry shrimp on Aquabid. I started with 30 in a 10 gallon and ended up with hundreds. I feed them crushed NLS.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good info everyone seems like these things are pretty easy to keep :D . I will be looking into the cherry shrimp as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts