Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im setting up a 4x2x2 mbuna tank , *** been through a list of fish i like , and these are what id like as the starting of my stocking , are they compatible?

5 of each bought as juveniles to be thinned out into 1m 2 f trios as they grow

metriaclama long fin pelvic mdoka
pseudotrophius ndumi redtop
labidochromus caeruleus
pseudotrophius elongatus neon spot
trophepops red cheeek "gold"

or if i could substitute 1 of those for zebra chilumba id be a very happy man

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the better choice would be limiting the number of species to 4 and adding to number of each group. At least I'm sure that any experienced person in this forum will suggest this.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Id just try what ever u think is gonna look the best to u. U might have to remove some fish or add some but as long as u watch whats going on and r on top of it u should try what ever u want.Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but i think thats part of the fun of owning mbuna.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not to be mean, but I think you managed to misspell every scientific name in the list.

metriaclima long fin pelvic mdoka
pseudotropheus ndumi redtop
labidochromis caeruleus
pseudotropheus elongatus neon spot
tropheops red cheeek "gold"

cut & paste is your best friend - you'll get used to the names, don't worry :)

And I'm with the above, stick to 4 species, 4 or 5 of each species. 1:2 ratio may not be enough to combat aggression.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think the better choice would be limiting the number of species to 4 and adding to number of each group. At least I'm sure that any experienced person in this forum will suggest this.
True. This will give you a much better chance of success.

Id just try what ever u think is gonna look the best to u. U might have to remove some fish or add some but as long as u watch whats going on and r on top of it u should try what ever u want.Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but i think thats part of the fun of owning mbuna.
Also true, but this can get very costly and discouraging. The consensus is that trios generally don't work well for Mbuna. In order to avoid having overly stressed females (which can lead to illness and death), It's best to keep 1m:3-4f for most species.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from reading up if im honest im starting to think mbuna may not be the right african cichlid for me , but thanks for the replies .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts