Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best 4th species to add to my Labs, Acei & Albino Socolofi?
Pseudotropheus demasoni "Demasoni"1760.71%
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos â€Å"Mainganoâ€Â725.00%
Metriaclima callainos â€Å"Cobalt Zebraâ€Â13.57%
Metriaclima emmiltos "Red Top Zebra"310.71%

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pseudotropheus demasoni - I've always wanted dems, but I've been afraid that they would just be too much. Their size and coloration is perfect. If I add the minimum of 12, my tank will have 30 fish :eek: I would like to keep 4 species, so would dems be too much?

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos â€Å"Mainganoâ€Â

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I voted cyaneorhabdos again. Second choice would be demasoni. Obviously they don't look the same as demasoni, but you're getting the same colours - with the stock you already have I think you need the dark blue and black.

Maingano are more or less the same size as demasoni, and although it may be tough to get the 1m/7f you may need to make them work, that'sat least 4 fewer fish than you will need to make the demasoni work.

kevin

·
Registered
372 Posts
I voted Dem's. they are by far the most prolific species in my tank and they add a lot of color. The Cobalts would be a little drab in my opinion and from everything I've heard about melanochromis I would stay away unless you were well prepared for high aggression.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bmweiler09 said:
I voted Dem's. they are by far the most prolific species in my tank and they add a lot of color. The Cobalts would be a little drab in my opinion and from everything I've heard about melanochromis I would stay away unless you were well prepared for high aggression.
Thank you. This is what I was wondering, since no one has really voted for the red top zebras.

Would the Cobalts potentially cross breed with my yellow labs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I voted deems because I think they are just cooler than mangainos, also I know everyone and every site says you need at least 12 dems in a tank but my tank has just 2 that I picked up at the lfs when they were juvies and now they are full grown adults that breed like crazy. They are in a 46g bow front with 8 other mixed mbuna and doing fine.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dems is the vote again. I have kept Cobalts, Maingano and Dems... Cobalts the male is a vibrant powder blue, the females are a darker blue color, almost purple. They are a little drab. The male is nice looking, but not stunning in my opinion. They also get really large. Mine was at 6'' and he was a linebacker, lol...

Maingano. They are the devil. I have kept them twice and both times were utter failures. I had a male go beserk and he had to be pulled. The 2nd time, I got a group from a well known breeder in texas and these guys were even worse. Terrorized the whole tank. I tried to make it work cause I love the colors, but I had to get rid of them for a more peaceful tank...

Dems. I have kept them for around 2 years. When I 1st got them, they didnt have the full dark coloration, looked more like kenyi, but over time, as they matured and became comfy, their colors became amazing. They breed like rabbits. Only issue I had was in the beginning when a pecking order was being established. I lost 3. As they got older, I pulled a sub dom male here and there. I got down to 1 male and 6 females by choice of pulling the sub doms. I added 11 juvies I grew up and they are all happy... The color on them is amazing, u can have a lot of them in the tank, so it means a lot of movement, which is very pleasing to the eye. They RARELY have any squabbles with other species. Their aggression is only to themselves. But, it really depends on the male. U just have to be watchful for a little while and be wary of too much aggression... Everyone sayd 12-15 dems. This number is great for juvies. As they grow up, I found that removing sub doms made things even easier. The females and males colors are interchangeable. they are both awesome. the dom male will almost glow....

I say dems, their rep isnt warranted if u keep a watch on them. Maingano are MUCH worse in my opinion. The cobalts are too drab

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
fish_addiction said:
noki said:
I would want a barred species. Demasoni or Cynotilapia afra.
The problem with my afra is the male is the only colorful one :(

Here's the rest of the post:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=223137
Well, if the male is really nice, can't you deal with a few drab fish? You have plenty of colorful fish. Afra are interesting and active. And one of the easiest barred Mbuna because they rarely get seriously violent.

The Red Top Zebra would have exactly the same issue with color/lack of color.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
True Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Likoma/Ornatus" are very nice barred Mbuna, and the females can be somewhat colorful (maybe not bright thou). They are common but quality bred ones are not common.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Demasoni. Don't let the high numbers scare you, remember they are half the size of the others.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Just remove victim fish promptly and they are a piece of cake.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah, what they said...... Dems it is for me as well. Try it if you can't make it work some othjer crazy fool out there always wanted them as well and will take whats left of them. Thats if they don't, if they do, and you likely will make it work, then you will be very happy. Never a dull moment with dems in your tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts