Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to find out what's brighter T5HO fixtures or LED light fixtures? I'm interested in comparing the 48" Hagen GLO T5HO double bulb fixture vs the new Marineland LED fixtures. Thank you in advance for any input you guys can provide. :popcorn:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was in my LFS today and they are running almost exclusively the double bright LEDs and their tanks looked well lit and killer. You may want to find a place that is running these lights and see for yourself.

My personal experience was... after reading about these LED lights I was skeptical. When I saw the double bright on a large tank I left the store with a single bright for my 20g long.

If you find the double bright LEDs are not bright enough for your liking just wait a bit. Marineland is coming out with an even brighter version.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The "brighter" version is, I believe, the Reef unit, which is already available. Comes in a longer version too - 48-60". I haven't seen one in person yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hmmm,

Would the double brights be sufficient for a planted tank? How about the reef version?

I was under the impression that LED's were not quite there yet for the planted tank folks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
larry.beck said:
The "brighter" version is, I believe, the Reef unit, which is already available. Comes in a longer version too - 48-60". I haven't seen one in person yet.
Ah you are correct. In all my research I didn't realize I was looking at old articles and the marketing name wasn't settled on yet :thumb:

They look great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have two of the Hagen GLO double T5HOs and one of the single T5HOs. The single is on a 60 gallon tank that is 24" tall and it does a great job. I have black sand too. If I can remember, I'll post a pic of my tank when I get home.

Hope this helps,
Jman

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have run the Hagen Glo T5HO for several years and these things put out light - big time. I have run them on 30" depth tanks and they light things up. You could do surgery under these babies. When I started keeping different fish that appreciated more subdued light the T5HO for my application were too much for my freshwater needs - too clinical but they did what they were supposed to if that's what you need. All my tanks are now on the Double Brites and I love them for the low energy and the shimmer it gives my tanks - very natural for my tastes. Check this link out re: light output - you'll see that from their findings, the output of the LED Double Brites aren't in the same league as the Hagen Glo T5HO. Don't forget the 36-48" Double Brite is in fact a 36" light versus the 48" Hagen Glo - but the difference is still substantial.
All depends on what you need and want.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium ... index.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just another nod for the Hagen GLO double T5 HO. Compact, flexible application, and very bright. That said, I also really love the look of the LEDs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was just faced with the same decision, T5 or LED. I bought coralife T5 HO. Remember with T5 you can buy different bulbs, with LED you can't customize to suite your needs/preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.