Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have another tank coming soon, which will be a 46 gallons tall. The base is limited as it's 36x12, and its height is 24 inches.

I plan on having 3 or 4 Pearl Gouramis. I know they're not cichlids, and not even American, but PH and temp wise they seem to overlap with a few American cichlids.

I was wondering if there'd be a similar size cichlid that would be pacific enough to cohabit with them and maybe a school of smaller fish ?

I know some of them are agressive or semi-agressive, but I also know that some of them are mellow when there is no competition nor any female to impress. Also, Pearl Gouramis tend to stay in the top third of the tank and this one will be 24 inches tall, so I'm thinking maybe a single mellow medium size cichlid could make himself a little territory in the bottom half and live happily in the same tank.

I'm open to both CA and SA so I'll copy/paste my post in both sections, hope it's okay to do so ? If not please let me know, I will delete one.

I'm not the biggest fan of Angles , and I do love rams but I would like something a little bigger if one could fit!

PS: I'd prefer this tank to be planted :)

I'm open to all suggestions!

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Honestly, keeping just about ANY Cichlid with Pearl Gouramis, is probably a bad idea. Those quiet and very peaceful fish just seem to bring out the worst in thuggish behavior, in many so-called 'peaceful' Cichlid species. :(
So well, outside of a single Angelfish or possibly a Discus.... (even then, tank bullies can sometimes emerge), I guess you could try a single Keyhole Cichlid, Cleithracara maronii. This very shy, retiring Cichlid species is one you have to be careful about - when stocking with other Cichlids! :roll:
-
And though smaller in size, I do like the idea of stocking with a single, Bolivian Ram. And, you could possibly try to stock with a 1M/4F harem of (very small) Apistogramma. The Cockatoo Apisto, Apistogramma cacatuoides is one such Apisto species, that is easy to keep.

But even then..... it's possible that the long, trailing pelvic-fin tendrils of your Pearl Gouramis, may wind up proving irresistible to nips and bites from those (usually) fairly peaceful, Apistos. :oops:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for your reply ! I actually had in mind to maybe get a single male Bolivian Ram in fact :) And I was already starting to think about those apistos! I was wondering if a pair or trio could work out or of I'd be better to avoid getting couple to prevent mating agression ?

Maybe if I get a single Bolivian, a single keyhole and a single Apisto with them, they would be less tempted by the long fins of the Pearls since they don't have any female/eggs/fry to protect ?

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
So, who is 'Tom Jones'? :-?
-
Anyway.... The Apistos are always best kept in male-female harem groups if more than one is to be kept. 1M/4F is recommended for the more aggressive A. cacatuoides. In an aquarium, the males of this species can be pretty hard on the Apisto females kept with them.
And no.... stocking with MORE Cichlids in the tank will just equal MORE beat downs put on those hapless Pearl Gouramis. Quiet and peaceful Gouramis, just really have NO BUSINESS being placed in an aquarium with Cichlids. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, at some point I lost my initial account and made another and it seems like my cellphone is still linked to one, and my computer to another. We're the same person :)

and also sorry for the confusion : when I said about the Keyhole and the Bolivian and the Apisto, I was thinking as 3 single fish, so in my mind it was not "more" cichlids but less than, for example 1 male Cacatyoide + 3 female. I was wondering if 3 single cichlids with no mating could end up being less dangerous than a harem with some territoriality.

So far I already have Bolivian Rams in another tanks, so for this one I trying to decide between the Apisto or the Keyhole. Even if I'd went with the Apisto, I think I'd get a single one instead of getting a harem, in order to avoid having a pair getting super aggressive while defending their nest.

But on the other hand I showed some Keyhole cichlids to my GF and she think they're very cute looking, almost looking naive lol from what I understand the only thing negative you had to say about those was that we need to be cautious with them when there are other cichlids. Is this because they're so peaceful that other cichlids would beat them and they wouldn't defend themselves, or it's because they can be aggressive, but only towards other cichlids ?

I would have love to get a single keyhole with a single Apisto with my Pearls and some schoolers, but I understand that, together, they would be a very dangerous menace for those peaceful gouramis.

I'm trying to get which one would fit best, and even though I love the colors of the Cacatuoides, I think I would be more inclined towards the Keyhole.

If Info this route, would you have some warnings for me ? Since. would the Keyhole be also okay with some schoolers, and some cories ? Before I thought about cichlids Inwas thinking maybe a bunch of Cardinals, but since the Keyhole is a little bigger, maybe they'd become a snack and I should up their size to Rasboras or Serpeis ?

Also, another question that burns my tongue : would the Keyhole cichlid eat all my plants ? Lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm going to answer one of your questions- No, the keyholes won't eat your plants... :)

And offer a very personal opinion that you probably don't want to hear- All cichlids are social fishes; I would never keep a single specimen of any of them. Put yourself in their place... :(

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
sir_keith said:
All cichlids are social fishes; I would never keep a single specimen of any of them. Put yourself in their place... :(
-
Well, yes. I'll agree that most Cichlids are social fishes. But, not all Cichlids. An example of this lone cichlid behavior would be Hericthys cyanoguttatus, the 'True' Texas, or so-called 'Green Texas Cichlid. In the aquarium, these grouchy Cichlids will just barely tolerate other fish kept with them. And in the wild, this behavior gets even worse. They're goons! These pugnacious beasts will chase away just about any fish (too large to just simply eat) from quite vigorously defended territories - even members of their OWN SPECIES!
Most (not all!) Guapote's will also behave in that same, quite surly manner, (*ahem* Kronoheros umbriferum anyone?).
-
So, on to the 'Tom Jones'/'Oui Bon Jour' thing....
In a 'nod' to sir_keith, the Apisto's are definitely one Cichlid species I would keep with others in an aquarium. As the only Cichlid species possibly in your tank, Apisto's will do best if kept in a Male/Female harem group. Kept in a group like that, they will (hopefully) stay pretty much pre-occupied with their own aquarium games and drama. And, if that is successful, will stay away from those dangly (quite delicious?) pelvic fins of your Pearl Gouramis.
And no, adding three non-paired Cichlids to this tank, will just provide three more opportunities for your Pearl Gouramis to get bullied/thrashed. So, a peaceful and very calm Gourami-based aquarium should be - just that.
-
So personally, I would just let those Pearl Gouramis have the 'center stage' in their OWN (heavily planted?) tank. And, if you still want Cichlids? You should work with those hurly-burly fish in their own, separate aquarium.
That way, hopefully EVERYONE will be happy. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you all for your answers, that's a lot of food for my brain. I still have to wait for that tank to cycle before getting any fish anyways, so I'll have plenty to think about :) thanks for your insights!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Auballagh said:
sir_keith said:
All cichlids are social fishes; I would never keep a single specimen of any of them. Put yourself in their place... :(
-
Well, yes. I'll agree that most Cichlids are social fishes. But, not all Cichlids. An example of this lone cichlid behavior would be Hericthys cyanoguttatus, the 'True' Texas, or so-called 'Green Texas Cichlid. In the aquarium, these grouchy Cichlids will just barely tolerate other fish kept with them...
You're absolutely right: there are some oddball cichlids out there that don't fit the mold. Shows you the danger of ever saying 'all' as far as cichlids (and most things) are concerned. :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts