Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to reboot the tank. I am doing a multy breeding tank. I removed the last fry predator, a petricola. I have 2 multies, and have secured 5 more from a board member that I am picking up next week. Added another 10 shells, bringing me up to 23, and will likely add another 10 or so. I will get a pic of the setup soon. I left a lone bristlenose for some cleanup duty. My tank typically comes in at a 7.8 ph.

I want the fry to make it, and I want to add some more activity. Namely, a school of something in the upper water column. I have seen some people use various fish. I am not going the Cyp route, too expensive, unless someone has fry they want to move cheaply locally. And, as I type this, I may add an ad. :lol:

Long story short, what are your favorite dithers in this situation and why?
I have considered so far:

Bosemani Rainbows
White Clouds
Buenos Aires Tetra's
Hatchets

Also, since I have yanked the syno, I am concerned about bottom feeder cleanup. Suggestions?

Thanks to all that make this one of the best communities. I come and go, but the endless knowledge and experience is always here when I return. Thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i wouldnt worry about cleaning the bottom as the multis will pick food off the bottom to eat. also waste will be moved around quite a bit with thier constant digging.. another good dither is my favorite, due to thier less than aggresive behavior, their hardiness and supurb coloring: congo tetras. can be a little more expensive & somewhat harder to find but worht it. they are a bit skittish too so a large silk plant somewhere in the tank helps out alot.. will also give the multis a place to hide if they are being run out of their shell by an overaggressive male

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im doing exactly the same thing in a very similar tank. I'm going for bosemanis. I currently have a breeding pair of multies and 30+ juvies and 50 or so shells. I have kept bosemanis and multies together with no issues in the past(the multies even adopted a bosemani egg and the juvie is still with them). Bosemanis are very clumsy fry hunters and the multies will stand up for themselves. Fully colored up mature bosemani males are well worth the effort.

Regards

Ollie

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Another rainbow to think about are the neon dwarf rainbows. If you get nice ones, they can be very attractive, and their much smaller size seems more in balance with shellies.

·
Registered
212 Posts
maybe a few less rocks since you have sand dwelling fish. looks nice though. Danios are a cheap dither that has worked for my brother!! cheap too.

·
Registered
85 Posts

A quick pic of mine. The raised area is going to planted with Vallis and Sagittaria subulata.

Regards

Ollie

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tanks looks awesome wouldn't change it they are shellies but if you get a very aggressive male he will drive them from what claimed as his area so the rocks will give him place to hide

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, there are a lot of caves surrounding the shells at the substrate level. I found they used the rocks as much as the shells when possible.

It looks like I actually secured some Paracyps locally, which is good news. I think a group will be fun in this set up. I know the other options are cheaper, but, when have we ever let that stop us from getting what we want? :D

Will Paracyps hunt multy fry?

·
Registered
73 Posts
not that *** seen though i only had mine for a little bit.. you will need more rocks and some caves for them paracyps. a over hang or 2 would also deflect some of the direct lighting and bring out thier sublte coloring

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a group of adults for quite a while that I had in this exact setup. I just wasn't sure if they would go after the fry or not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After more thought, I think I want to go back to the school idea.
How do these tetra's and rainbow's do in a 7.8ph. I imagine most of the LFS's keep fish near 7.0. Will I have to drip them?
Most nicer rainbows in the area, (Bosemani, etc) are very pricey. More than I can get the Cyps for.
What tetra's would do best? Barbs? Opening that part back up for discussion again. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Most rainbows are naturally harder water fish so you shouldnt have any problems there. Most tetras and barbs are softer water fish but will adapt to the harder water. I keep all my fish in decholr'd tap ph7.5, 14DH and have not had a problem with the various tetras, barbs, rasaboras, CA/SA cichlids and catfish *** kept in the past. I've even had sucessful(unintentional) breeding from some. Keeping clean water is far more important.
Hyphessobrycon columbianus - Colombian Tetra, Might not look like much in the shops but they color up very well once they settle in.
Trigonostigma heteromorpha - Harlequin Rasbora IMO one of the best shoaling fish you can buy and 20 or so would look great against the dark colors in your tank.

Regards

Ollie

·
Registered
85 Posts
No hassles from them at all. *** kept them with dithers before so wasnt worried about the bows. Fish *** kept them with in the past:
Angelfish
Corydas
Harlequins
Striped Raphael Catfish
African Brown Knifefish
Bosemani Rainbowfish
Keyhole Cichlids
The only fish they took exception to were the keyholes to the point that the keyholes were left to hiding in one corner of the tank behind some plants despite all 4 being at least double the size of the multies. Luckily I had just set up a breeding tank for the multies so they were together less than 24hrs. Other than that everything else was ignored they even let the angels hoover up food right next to their shells.
Regards
Ollie

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't decide. Sigh. I keep going back to cardinal and rummynose tetra's. I just worry about this hard water. Most rainbow's I see will cost me more than Paracyps lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I keep my multies with Serpae tetras. The serpae tetras do fine in the hard water. The multies don't bother them at all, unless they venture too close to a shell. I like the contrast of red the serpae give. See my tank below.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ollie said:
(the multies even adopted a bosemani egg and the juvie is still with them)
That's really cool.

wedrnkbeer said:
I can't decide. Sigh. I keep going back to cardinal and rummynose tetra's. I just worry about this hard water. Most rainbow's I see will cost me more than Paracyps lol.
From my experience, cardinals and rummy nose tetras are the epitome of the sensitive tetras. They are generally considered to be tough to keep alive under optimal water conditions, let alone harder/higher pH water. The stress of the multis constantly taking shots at them will not help matters either.

+1 for dwarf blue neon rainbows. Cheaper than most rainbows and a better size match for the multis.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i settled on some Australian Rainbows. Couldn't pass on them for $1.99, and grabbed 8. I did see the Colombian Tetra's and liked them a lot too. I also saw, for the first time in my area, a Threadfin Rainbow. Absolutely gorgeous!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.