Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently acquired a used 450 gallon acrylic tank. As of now, I'm thinking of doing a Tanganyika tank. I've done south american for years (my favorite), and have done an mbuna tank in the past. Looking to try something new as I already have two south american tanks at the moment. My water is naturally very hard, so perfect for african cichlids. I'm looking for guidance on what to stock with.

What would a 450 gallon Tanganyika stocking list look like? This tank is still months away, still a lot of research and planning left. Looking to get a rough outline of what I can look for. I really love the lemon cichlids and shell dwellers. Sardine cichlids are also another one of my favorites.

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

·
Administrator
40,586 Posts
Leleupi and shellies are often not a good mix because the leleupi eat the fry. That would not be terrible but they also continuously drag the adults out of the shells to get to the fry...killing them in the long term.

I had them together in a 72" tank against CF advice, and found this to be true. Goodbye leleupi!

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
OMG! Hard to imagine just how many Tropheus it would take to colonize an aquarium that big. Be an incredible sight as it grows out, that's for sure. :cool:

Reactions: Aussieman57

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've never kept tropheus, but I have a soft spot for ilangi and red rainbows (probably can only choose one or the other though since I think they can crossbreed)

I was playing "what if" with myself after filling my tank and decided that if I had gone with tropheus instead of a mixed community featuring Cyathopharynx, I would have gone with a mixed tropheus tank with ilangi, ikola and one more that I haven't decided on

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've never kept tropheus, but I have a soft spot for ilangi and red rainbows (probably can only choose one or the other though since I think they can crossbreed)

I was playing "what if" with myself after filling my tank and decided that if I had gone with tropheus instead of a mixed community featuring Cyathopharynx, I would have gone with a mixed tropheus tank with ilangi, ikola and one more that I haven't decided on
The Tropheus moorii 'Ilangi'/T. moorii 'Red Rainbow' mix would be problematic, as these populations are closely related (irrespective of the precise taxonomic status of 'Ilangi'), and would very likely hybridise, as you indicated.

I think you made a good choice going with the sandy biotope for your big tank, as Cyathopharynx really do need a big tank, much more so than Tropheus. That said, it sure would have been a great Tropheus colony! I like the T. sp. 'black' Ikola/T. annectens Kalugunga combination, as these populations occur sympatrically in the lake, and look stunning together. I kept a mixed colony of these for some years, and as expected, hybridisation was not an issue. If I were to add a third population to the mix, I'd add a distantly related species, e. g. T. brichardi. I have been keeping Ikola with T. brichardi Kabimba for some time; again, without an hybridisation issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leleupi and shellies are often not a good mix because the leleupi eat the fry. That would not be terrible but they also continuously drag the adults out of the shells to get to the fry...killing them in the long term.

I had them together in a 72" tank against CF advice, and found this to be true. Goodbye leleupi!
Okay, shellies are out then. Would lemons and Cyprichromis leptosoma work together? What else can I add to that mix?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts