Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm setting up a 45 gallon African cichlid aquarium and I'm new to this. I currently have a 20 gallon with 5 labs, 2 peacocks and 2 berevis. All still very small, 1.5 inches. These will move to the 45. I'd like to add a couple perrots or convicts. And how many of each can I have in a 45? Most importantly, is this a good mix?

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Tank dimensions please.

Are the two berevis actually Neolamprologus brevis from Lake Tanganyika? If so, they won't do well long term with larger cichlids.

I don't think you can add any more fish with your existing stock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they are true Neolamprologus brevis. They get along well with the other fish in there now. I have weeded our the aggressive labs and the peacocks seem to stick together and ignore everyone else. Tank dimensions are 36x12x23

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I would leave the brevis in the 20G and put the labs and peacocks in the 36" tank. I would not add fish to either tank. What are the species and genders of the peacocks? I usually don't like to keep peacocks in a 36" tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a female blueberry and a male blueberry mixed with something red? Not sure. Petsmart is not great at knowing what species cichlids they are selling. 2 of my labs are probably crossed with zebra too. So basically I'm over stocking. Should the berivs just stay in the tank by themselves?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Can you post pictures of the Malawi in the Unidentified forum?

The brevis could be OK with a small rockdweller pair like Julidochromis marlieri Gombe. Don't buy fish at a store that does not provide scientific names.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I am obviously new to this and greatly appreciate! I will post pics of the unidentified one. Could you please recommend a filter and heater for the 45 gallon. Thank you so much again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts