Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ..... im thinking about setting up a 45 gallon mbuna tank with a 36 inch footprint. Is it possible with a tank that small and if so can i get some suggestions on what to stock that stays small and have the aggression level manageable with a tank this size. I do plan on many rocky hiding places etc etc.
Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What type of cichlids do you prefer? Mbuna from Lake Malawi do like rocky hiding places, but for a 36" tank I would choose something else.

Is it a rectangle (not a bowfront, not a hex)? It so it is a tall tank with 45G so maybe something from the New World (like South America or Central America) that would use the height?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is tall for a 45 for sure. 36x12x23 rectangle. Want to set up as a Mbuna tank but also dont want to create a pain in the butt either. Still deciding what direction to go. I may go with a planted tank with apistogramma and kribensis mix or perhaps apistogramma and bolivian ram mix or something along those lines. Appreciate the input.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
The only Mbuna I would put in a tank with that dimension would be Chindongo saulosi. They are small, peaceful and tolerate more of their species than other mbuna.

I like the plant idea with Apistos and/or rams...you could get some really tall plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts