Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

over the next year or so, I plan on building a plywood tank with the dimensions of: 8'x3'x2.5', which is 448 gallons. I would plan to do a large sump for the majority of the filtration.

My current stocking plans include:
Numbers = ( M/F/Total)
Champsochromis caeruleus "Malawi Trout" 1 3 4
Fossorochromis rostratus 1 3 4
Aristochromis christyi 1 3 4
Buccochromis heterotoenia/rhoadesi 1 3 4
OB peacocks (12+) 4 8 12
Placidochromis phenochilus (2m 6f) 2 6 8
Copadichromis borleyi (2m 6f) 2 6 8
Labidochromis Caeruleus 4 8 12
Synodontis Multipunctatus (12) 6 6 12

Does this seem like a do-able stocking list for a tank this size? I understand the yellow labs may become prey to some of the larger haps. Any suggestions??

Thanks!,

Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Seems like a lot of fish to me, but I will let the people who have kept the big haps reply. I would not do 2 males of anything and I would expect the pheno's to not color well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have all male peacocks (21) & haps (8), and Frontosa (4), synodontis (6), 39 fish total, in my 450gal and it seems plenty. Pretty perfect actually.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I was thinking I may be pushing the stocking limits of the tank, but I was a bit unsure due to not keeping the larger haps before. Do you see the peacocks being able to cope with the larger haps? The reason why they are on the stocking list is because I currently have a 90 gallon tank full of OB peacocks that wont stop breeding, lol.

Some of the "must haves" for me include the Trout and Fosso rostratus, the rest for the most part I just thought they may be suitable tankmates.

·
Registered
641 Posts
jcover said:
Do you see the peacocks being able to cope with the larger haps? The reason why they are on the stocking list is because I currently have a 90 gallon tank full of OB peacocks that wont stop breeding, lol.

Some of the "must haves" for me include the Trout and Fosso rostratus, the rest for the most part I just thought they may be suitable tankmates.
Sorry I can't help answer this better, the haps I have are Otopharynx Lithobathes z-rock, Placidochromis Phenochilus star sapphire, Protomelas Steveni Taiwan, and Copadichromis Borleyi red-fin kadango. So the smaller haps and right now they're only around 1-2 inches bigger than the peacocks who have reached adult size. But the larger space in this tank really does help compared to my 180gal where it's apparent that less space has a negative influence.

The only friction in my tank is my larger z-rock sometimes chases the smaller one, and my 7 inch Frontosa chases any other fish, besides the synodontis, out of his cave.

Only advice I feel comfortable giving is I would personally decrease the number of fish on your list, and what DJRansome said about not having 2 males of any one species.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
The hybrid "Peacocks" are not pure Aulonocara and can actually be kinda aggressive towards the Haps. Of course, you might end up with quite large predators, which would be a different problem down the road but that would be awhile. Personally I would avoid the hybrids or much less.

Fossos are schooling fish, so if you really like them you could have a larger group so hopefully a male colors up fully.

You could have fish like Protomelas, like Red Empress or Spilonatus Tanzania. Fryeri. Compressiceps. Lots of medium Haps that have colorful males. Chilotilapia are nice large Haps. You should just decide if you want to have mostly large predators and have less fish, or have more medium Haps with the Champs and Fossos... if you want Fossochromis and the "Trout" the most, try to cater the tank so they look their best, and both can have a potentially spectacular males.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply noki.

The only reason I wanted to incorporate the OB peacocks are that I already have them, and they are basically full grown. If they wont work in this case, I'll either keep them separate or re-home them.

How many fossos would you recommend for a large group?

I'm thinking that I'll go the route of more medium sized haps, with the Champs and Fossos.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
I admit i'm kinda predujuced against the OB "peacocks", cosider them a novelty, some males can be cool but they don't excite me overall, and they are hybrids that will breed with anything. Sometimes they can have a Mbuna type attitude, so wouldn't want to fill the tank with them.

So start the tank with the fish you want to do the best, like the Champsochromis and Fossochromis.You could just have a "big" Hap tank which could be cool, but those two males may or may not color up. I would start with a decent sized group of Fossos to make sure you get multiple females to hopefully get the male to show full color. You probably could have secondary Fosso males too and if they cause a problem you could remove them down the road.

Then, whatever you want to fill out the tank, hopefully fish that will not challange the Fossos and Champsochromis. Red Fin Borleyi are active and grow surprisingly fast. C. mooorii would make a cool active schooling fish too. Phenocheilus are less active but should do okay. Protoemlas can be very colorful. Fryeri are great but males can be kinda bossy, but it is a big tank. Just try to avoid fish that are related to each other in the same genus, fish that have the same base pattern or males that are overly superficially similar to each other. Since you are looking at less common fish to begin with, see what other fish they have available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.