Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, at the end of the month I will be having a 40 gallon that is 36x12, but 24 inches high.

I know I'm restricted in floor surface as it's higher than it's large.

I already made a few posts in the past for information about a 36 inch aquarium, but it was larger and less tall. Anyhow, I was told I could get maybe a pair of Alto Compressiceps, some Caudopunctatus and a small school or Paracyps.

I still like the idea, but I was wondering if the stockingsuggestions would offer me different options with this 24 inches tall.

I really love Alto Compressiceps and I'm not totally closed to the idea of a species only tank, but I'd also like to get some suggestions of community setup with two or three species.

I currently have tropical fishes in a 20 gallon (24x12, I'm not sure how tall). I would not mind using the 20 gallon instead for the Tangs if it could be big enough for a species only tank of Compressiceps (or maybe a trio of Caudopunctatus and a Compressiciep ?)

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions :)

·
Super Moderator
40,392 Posts
What is the length of each of the tanks? Three species would work in a 48" tank but 36" long and less might be better with shellies and a pair of small peaceful fish like julodichromis or just shellies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello DJRansome, It is a 36 inches long.

If it's too short for 3 species, could any "Compressicep + one sepecies" work ?

Or even a Compressiceps species-only ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction : at first I said it was a 40 gallons, but I calculated and it's a 45g gallons.

Width: 36" (91.44cm)
Height: 24" (60.96cm)
Depth: 12" (30.48cm)

But I will also have another one ready in a couple months : 36x16 base, 19 tall.

I also read somewhere else that Juveniles in a Species-Only tank could be in a 20 gallon ?

I believe they are very slow grower correct ?

So could I go with 4-5 juveniles in the 20 gallons and let them grow until they form a pair and then rehome the others, and keep the pair until they outgrow the tank ? Could it last a while, and at what size would they need to be moved to a 36" or 48" ?

·
Super Moderator
40,392 Posts
You can raise calvus fry in smaller tanks. But when they form a pair they get rambunctious and you may need a tank that is even longer than 36" during that period.

Why not wait until you have the right tank for your comps? If you could get a pair that has already produced fry together, they would be good in the 36" tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts