Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a number of posts about 36" tanks and how they represent the minimum requirements for African Cichlids. Unfortunately, a 36" is all that I can convince my landlord to allow me to keep. I kept a 55 gallon with Mbunas in high school and college, and my hope is to have Mbunas again. I know the recommendation is Saulosi, which I'm not totally opposed to, but I'm wondering if there are any stories of long-term success with other species - even single species tanks. I'm wrestling with the idea of doing a planted tank instead, but I love the activity and color that Mbunas offer.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Conservatively, all 36" Malawi tanks would have a single species recommended. Saulosi you can have the most fish, but that is unique to saulosi. Alternates would be 1m:4f yellow labs or 1m:4f of a small, peaceful Cynotilapia zebroides like Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I think yellow labs might be the ideal since a number of shops carry them near me.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think the yellow labs would work too. Fairly easy to sex and if you get some nice ones, they look great and breed easily if you are into that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts