Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 40 gallon breeder (36x18x16) that's cycling using Dr. Tim's. I'm using an AquaClear 110 for filtration from my first cichlid tank (75g) I had before our last move. That tank was all male and mostly Haps and Aulonocara. Decided to downgrade the tank size this go round--easier to move. There's a lot of rock in the tank as you can see and I purposely arranged it to provide multiple caves and hiding spots.

I have a few options that I'm considering for stocking (2-3 species) and would like some opinions on the viability.

A:
6-7 (1m/5-6f) yellow lab (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6-7 (1m/5-6f) yellow top mbamba (Labidochromis sp.)
1 Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish

B:
6-7 (1m/5-6f) yellow lab (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6-7 (1m/5-6f) lupinga afra (Cynotilapia Afra sp.) or 6-7 (1m/5-6f) Maingano (Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos)

C:
4-5 (1m/3-4f) yellow lab (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
4-5 (1m/3-4f) lupinga afra (Cynotilapia Afra sp.)
4-5 (1m/3-4f) Maingano (Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos)

I'd appreciate constructive feedback on the stocking plan (sign courtesy of my 7 year old).

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
One species of a small, peaceful mbuna works better for a 36" tank. Chindango saulosi is ideal and will give you 2 colors.

I would go with Synodontis lucipinnis rather than multipunctatus as a better fit for size. A trio will satisfy their desire to be in groups and prevent a single from hiding 24/7.

From your list B might be workable if you do a trio of the yellow labs and a trip of the Cynotilapia and a trio of lucipinnis.

I would not do mbamba in a 36" tank, and for Maingano they are better in a 48x18 75G tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts