Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Gonna be starting a 40B Tanganyika tank soon. My idea was “dividing” the tank into a shell field and a rock structure. The shell field species would most likely be Multis (unless there’s another shelly species that would work better), and the rock structure hosting either a pair of Alto. Calvus/Compressiseps or Julies. My understanding is that I’d wanna start with 5 or 6 of these species in order to get a pair, then return the remaining fish.
Would this type of setup work long term?

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
Yes it will work. The calvus probably need to end up being only a pair but if you choose multis they are fine all staying and will form a colony.

In addition to the shells and rocks, form bare sand six inches between. The multis like their shells (as many as 100) piled up as opposed to scattered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will work. The calvus probably need to end up being only a pair but if you choose multis they are fine all staying and will form a colony.

In addition to the shells and rocks, form bare sand six inches between. The multis like their shells (as many as 100) piled up as opposed to scattered.
thanks so much for the response. So make a kind of bare area between the rocks and shells?

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
Yes. The shellies will have front, back and side of tank as boundaries, plus the six inches of bare sand dividing them and the rock dwellers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok perfect. And do you think I could add a single Altolamp to that stocking (a pair of Julis and a Multi colony), or would the Julis be too territorial with their rocks?

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
I would do either the pair of altolamps OR a pair of julidochromis, but not both. Not even a single altolamp.

Tangs are not great at singles...they just hover in place and add nothing to the tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha, I'll hold off on the altolamps then. About the species of Julidochromis, my favorite is Marlieri, but I understand they get around 6" long. Would it be better to go with a smaller species like Transcriptus?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any opinion on Calvus vs Julis? Having a hard time finding either right now so I’ve got time to think about it. I just ordered 8 Multis so they’ll have time to establish their territory in the shells.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
I love the tribal look of calvus but julidochromis are cool with the blue edges of the fins and sometimes form a trio or even a colony in a larger tank. Pairs are more common.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the tribal look of calvus but julidochromis are cool with the blue edges of the fins and sometimes form a trio or even a colony in a larger tank. Pairs are more common.
do julidochromis grow any faster? I know calvus can take years to reach breeding size. My goal is to breed them for fun, so I won’t be removing fry or anything, I just wanna see that dynamic in the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts