Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum but have been researching a lot in the past few weeks. I have a 40b with a wet/dry underneath. I'd like to do a pair of inkfin calvus, and some multi's, are there any other fish I could add with these? looking at the cookie cutters they say I can, but I'd like to hear from some of you that are up to date.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I love 40 Breeders. You could put some non-jumbo cyps in there too. You have a good filter for a 40 breeder to. I just use 1 sponge filter in my 40's. I'm really bad about over crowding my tanks though so some others might not suggest cyps.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Maybe some paracyps instead?

·
Registered
790 Posts
paracyprichromis nigripinnis would be fine as well. If you provide enough rocks you won't have a problem.

I just personally rather have cyps than paracyps, but both are still great fish.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am setting up a 40b also and would like to specialize altolamps in it. I would love calvus "whites". I am planning two HS-3 sponges, one with a power head and an HOB filter. Or, two power heads on the sponges. I am inclined toward a single species tank but don't think it would show the altos well. I would consider a species that would not overcompete with the altos for food, but keep them active outside of a rock pile.
1-is my idea of power heads on the sponges a good plan?
2-what would be a good complimenmt for the calvus? I like N. buesheri if it is a good match.

The answers might help the initiator of this string with choices.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Shellies or caudopunctatus.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Each fish is different, of course, but my experience with cyps is that, while you can do them in a 40 breeder, they are a very active species, and IMO would do better in a larger-footprint tank, like a 75.

I've also found that cyps and calvus aren't necessarily the best mix, as the cyps are fast to the food, and calvus notoriously slow. You end up with very well-fed cyps, and calvus that barely get enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts