Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 40"l x 16"d x 18" h tank. I've got my heart set on keeping some Cynotilapia sp hara white tops. I was thinking either have this as a species only tank or also adding some saulosi? Would either option work? I have another 48" mbuna tank that's been set up around a year so I'm not totally new to mbuna and I have several Tanganyikan tanks and been keeping tangs on and off for 24 years.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
I would stock this like a 36" tank and do just the saulosi. The hara are a little bigger and a little more rambunctious...I'd do them in 48x12 or larger. The length is key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so the stock on my 48" tank is 1m 4f elongatus mpanga, 1m 4f Met msobo magunga reef and 15 demasoni. If I swapped out the demasoni into the 40" and added some cynotilapia hara to the 48" would this work?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
It might although I'd add females for the elongatus. Is it 48x18?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 48"x16". Why do the elongatus need more females than other mbuna species? This tank has been stocked like this for nearly 12 months and all is going great with it so far.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Elongatus are among the more aggressive mbuna. 8 months to 12 months is about when you start to see issues with aggression as fish mature and settle in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok , think I get what you're saying now. The elongatus will be too aggressive for the hara to show their best. In that case I may sell the elongatus and add the hara into the tank with the demasoni and msobo and use the 40" as a saulosi species tank. Am I correct? Will be sad to see the elongatus go as the male is a stunner but I've fallen in love with the hara!!

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
I was not saying that...I have not kept elongatus and hara together...I would not remove the elongatus just in case. They just do better with extra females.

I have however kept demasoni and hara together...the hara did not show to their best. I'd go with the elongatus-hara-mboso in the 48" tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.