Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have the ability to upgrade my tank soon and was wondering which tank would be better. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder and was wondering if I should upgrade the tank as well as the equipment. I would just like to know if a 55 would be suitable for geophagus or to have more fish with the current stocking. I like the deepness of the 40 but like the length of the 55. I would just like to know what are your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
well with the fish in the 40 breeder the 55 might be better as its taller for the angels you have. But if you can I would go with a 75 if you like the depth of the 40, and as its just as long as the 55. As far as equipment just because you get a bigger tank doesnt mean you need better equipment. if your stocking stays the same then you can keep the same filters as they can handle the bio load. But thats my thinking others might not agree.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I was looking at 75s I just don't think I have the finance to go with one. I also like the idea of the 55 because it's kinda in the middle with size and many things can be done with it and I won't have to switch out a lot of the equipment I have that wouldn't work on a 75 like heaters, filters, and etc. I would really like some input from anyone with a SA setup using a 55g. Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have you looked on craigslist for a 75? A second hand one is worth the start and glad that I have picked up 2. As far as SA community tank you will want a slightly bigger tank like the 75. They dont like to be to crowded unlike africans. So with that said the if you wanted geos in the tank you will have to go with a small on like the red headed geo. They get to be 6" and as far as i know the smallest one. If you can find apistogramma baenschi they are known to forge through the sand for food like geos but stay small like a ram.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Bigger is better for tanks but not required. At one point, 55 WAS a big tank! As time has moved on, tank size has increased a great deal. They are nice but not toally necessary. I have a 55 and several 75. Both work for the Ca fish I keep. There just has to be an adjustment for the fish size versuz the tank size. Smaller tank, larger fish, more maintenance. Larger tank, smaller fish ,less maintenance. We all have to find a balance that fits us and the way we want it. Rich people- large tanks. Poor people- work harder? :roll:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Have you considered a 60 gallon?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have a 40 breeder and like it quite a lot. It's easy to maintain, easy to find a spot for and a good size for a wide variety of SA dwarves and some CA cichlids as well. I have a pair of rainwbow cichlids in my 40, with schools of hatchets, galaxy rasboras and cories.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I looked at the dimensions of the 75 because it would be a bigger upgrade and i could stock alot more and if i ever wanted to keep something different i could there's just some logistics that would have to be worked out. The reason i wanted to go with the 55 is because it isn't huge but it isn't too small either. If I were to get a 75 has anyone bought very nice ones preferably aqueon and at what price range. Also if I did end up just going with the 55 how many of the red heads could I keep with the current stock or would I just be able to get a few more angels?

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could get a few more angels and I would say 3 or 4 red head geos. The geos will stay to the lower half of the tank for the most part. With the angels occupying the upper half the tank should loom great. As far as price depends on were go. I bought a second hand one for 60 dollars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of shape was the 75 you bought in? For instance scratches, chips, age, and were the seals good?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The tank seals showed some age but everything was great. Minor scratches on the glass but can't see them when its filled. You just have to keep an eye out for the deals. That one did not come with a stand but they are easy enough to make. What eveway goto make sure you post some pictures.

·
Registered
173 Posts
But all in all Fish_guy remember its your tank. we are just trying to help you get the best one for the fish you want to keep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts