Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to turn a 40 gallon terrarium into an aquarium? I have 2 of them sitting around and wonder if they would work? I guess I could always just fill them with water and see what happens but i was wondering if anyone has tried this.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well just filled it with water (outside) so far so good, we will see what happens. Probably will leave it for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The reason you were supposed to measure the glass thickness is because 40 gallons of water weighs 320lbs. The glass and silicone seals may not be sufficient to hold this. If the glass is not at least 3/16" thick, it is not safe to bring inside and fill with water.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I will measure it. I figured if I put it outside and fill it with water and let it sit for 2 weeks, that will give me a good idea. If it breaks then no big deal because it was just sitting in my basement and I dont plan on getting any repitiles. So far its been full for a few hours and no leaking or anything that I can tell.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
There has been a thread on here of someone who used one who was unsure and it held up for a few days or a week but then ended up with like something in ballpark of 90g of water on their floor.

So just cause it holds for a "while" doesnt mean it is kosher. FYI

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
There has been a thread on here of someone who used one who was unsure and it held up for a few days or a week but then ended up with like something in ballpark of 90g of water on their floor.

So just cause it holds for a "while" doesnt mean it is kosher. FYI
Yeah I agree. The more I think about it, the expense of buying a 40 gallon aquarium is far less than the expense and hassle of dealing with 40gallons of water on the top floor of my house.

·
Registered
554 Posts
LanceN34 said:
Yeah I agree. The more I think about it, the expense of buying a 40 gallon aquarium is far less than the expense and hassle of dealing with 40gallons of water on the top floor of my house.
+1

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could always fill it 1/4 or 1/3 as a half aqua terrarium. I would bet it could hold that no problem if you havent already experienced leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts