Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a new tank but I don't know which tank is better a 40g or a 55g. Ill be using this new tank for new world cichlids. The 40g would technically be a 40g breeder. I wouldn't mind the bigger 55g. Are there any advantages/disadvantages that i should know about. Any suggestions or input?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
A 40G breeder is only 3' long, but 18" deep. A 55G is 4' long, but only 13" deep. If push comes to shove, I'd go for the extra length (plus the added volume) any day, but why not make it a 75G - 4" long and 18" deep; that is the best of both worlds :D

Seeing what tank busters a lot of New World Cichlids are, I am sure you would not regret that choice, and 75G is a standard size that's often not much more expensive than 55G.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
fish_guy15
jumping at the buck a gallon deal eh? :D

I would always choose a 55g tank over a 40b, EXCEPT when dealing with the sedentary but beefier new world cichlids like a Jack Dempsey or the like.

What specific cichlids are on your wish list?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I would go for the 75g but I would rather go for the 55 and have money to spend on substrate, fish, and etc. I agree with the footprint I want to get a longer tank. I'm definitely going to go with the 55g and maybe look into the 75. Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the fish on my wish list are some more catfish, a green terror, jack Dempsey, plecos, and I'll be moving one of my convicts into the new tank as well

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
fish_guy15 said:
Some of the fish on my wish list are some more catfish, a green terror, jack Dempsey, plecos, and I'll be moving one of my convicts into the new tank as well
with that list, the 40b would be my choice over a 55g, with the 75g being far more wise and worth it. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Number6 said:
fish_guy15I would always choose a 55g tank over a 40b
See, I am the reverse. I will always choose the 40 breeder over a 55g. I have found it just too hard to keep multiple pairs of CA, SA or westies in a tank as thin as a 55g. Plus any tank taller than wide looks odd to me, though it's mostly the lack of width.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm going with the 40g or I might go with a 50g because my base that I'm using is 3' but I will keep the 55g in mind.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
fish_guy15 said:
Yeah I would go for the 75g but I would rather go for the 55 and have money to spend on substrate, fish, and etc.
As substrate I use pool filter sand - about $5 for a 50 pound bag, which is enough for a 75G, looks great, and the fish love it. Fish I buy via local fish clubs - super quality, great choice, and prices that can't be beat. For most other stuff you can find some sort of bargain or there is a DIY solution. The money you spend on a larger tank is quickly forgotten, but you'll enjoy it for years to come! :)

·
Banned
7 Posts
I want to use my tank to the fullest by keeping a lot of medium sized cichlids (under 7 inches) in my 55 gallon tank that have similar water chemistry and feeding requirements.

---------------------
simplyfishtanks.co.uk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts