Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have a 40-gallon breeder and was wondering what cichlids you guys can recommend that can thrive and breed. I am mainly interested in mbuna but I heard peacocks might be a better option. In addition how many cichlids would be ideal ?

I have another 40 breeder tank and might connect the two tanks with a bridge to create 80 gallons. However, I want to focus on my cycled 40 gallon first.

I have the Fluval 407 canister filter.

Let me know! I am excited to start a new tank and want the fish to be happy

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would recommend cichlids from Lake Tanganyika instead of Lake Malawi for a 36" tank, especially if you want more than one species. Lake Malawi options for a 36" tank are limited.

If you want to raise the fry I would recommend a Neolamprologus brichardi, single species tank. Buy six and do not be surprised if they form a pair and reject the others. Have a rehoming plan.

Once the pair forms they will spawn and fill the tank with their fry and they will tolerate their own fry as tank mates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lake Tanganyika have very difficult fish to take care of. I am still new to the hobby and want a hardy fish as well as easy to take care of.

If I were to stick with Lake Malawi how many mbunas can go in a 40 gallon and what species. Again I do plan on expanding to an 80 gallon.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I do not find brichardi any more difficult to maintain than Lake Malawi. Maybe some species are but it is a myth that ALL Lake Tanganyika are difficult to care for.

For Lake Malawi I can only recommend two species and each in a single species mix. Other fish of the same size do not substitute well.

One dozen unsexed juveniles. You may still need a rehoming plan. For both males and females colorful, Chindongo saulosi. For colorful males and drab females, Aulonocara kandeense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts