Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 planted 40 gallon breeders
Tank 1 stock is: 8 cherry barbs, 1 angel fish, 1 bristlenose, pair of apistogramma mcamasteri

Tank 2 has 5 cherry barbs, 2 bristlenose and 2 German blue rams

I really want a electric blue acara for tank 2, will the rams be ok in there?if not will they be ok in tank 1 (they are not a pair) or do I just need to rehome them.

Also what would be good tank mates for an eba in a 40 breeder. Thinking like sword tails or maybe a handful of tiger barbs. Any thoughts

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Yes, I believe a very young EBA could certainly go in 'Tank 2' with the 2 German Rams and those Bristlenose catfish. And, initially things will be fine with those Cherry Barbs if they are all close to 2 inches in adult length. But sooner than later, the EBA will grow to some size, and once it's over 4 to 5 inches in length, those little Cherry Barbs stocked in the tank with it are gonna start 'disappearing' on you.
-
So yes. And ideally, when you are ready to add the EBA, stock the 40 breeder (before the EBA goes in or at the same time) with a larger-growing Sword Tail species (the kind that get up to 3 - 4 inches in length), or 5 to 6 Tiger Barbs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change of plan to tank 2, all fish were removed except the bristle nose, I added 1 red head tapajos( bought from someone shutting down a tank) could I still add an electric blue acara and trio of swords?

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Should work fine...
To do this, I would add the EBA and swords in together at the same time. And, I would completely redecorate the tank on the day that everyone goes in, to (hopefully) limit territorial aggression from your Red Headed Tapajos, in that fairly small aquarium. (Be best if you could place everyone into this tank at the same time, actually).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts