Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the other day in class i had the idea to setup another 55 gallon in my room but since im running out of space ( im 15 so i cant really expand ) between my 55 gallon my 2 10 gallons and my 5 gallon betta setup i dont have the room for another 55 and i really wanted a cichlid setup cause im getting board of the community so... i did some research and i got the idea of a 40 gal i have room for i was gonna get 2 aquaclear 110's and if i go the african route i was thinking crushed coral and some texas holey rock but if i go south american i was thinking lots of drift wood anyways any advice you guys have would be extremely helpful especially with stocking how many can i fit and which way should i go thanks....

G

·
I had the same problem I just got a 55 gallon but I'm exchanging it for a 40 gallon breeder tomorrow because it couldn't fit in my room, along with my two 10 gallons and 20 gallon long. My new 40 gallon is going to be a SA/CA with a stocking of two convicts, some JDs, green terror, pleco, and striped Raphael catfish. Sand is a good substrate *** never used crushed coral before but it sounds good. I also have stacked slate for rocks. Filtration will be two aqueon 30s with a sump. Your setup sounds could make sure you update when you get it setup.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not really an expert on SA cichlids but fish_guy15, I think thats a bit too many fish for that size of a tank. I have seen at my LFS an 11'' JD, a 14 " pleco, and recently at a different shop a 16" raphael catfish!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There are a few African Malawi species you could keep in a 40 breeder. With the right amount of hiding spaces you could do a single species tank with a dozen individuals. Pseudotropheus saulosi, Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae...to name a few. If you wanted more than one species you could do 5 caeruleus and a peacock for some added colour. More than that in a three foot tank is troublesome.

1m/3f would be the best ratio if you can sex them.

Basically any mbuna that's less than 4" and not overly aggressive.

2 AC110's seems like overkill on the filtration, but do what you like. I have 11 saulosi in a 38 gallon (slightly smaller footprint) and only use an Emperor 280.

If you like coral and holey rock, go for it, but neither of those will turn low pH water into high pH water on their own. If your pH is mid 7 or higher I wouldn't worry about the water. I like play sand or pool filter sand with more natural rocks, but that's just my opinion.

You have many more options for a community tank if you go South American.

Good luck.

kevin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks so much with thet responses guys i have 4 keyholes in my 55 and i love em but africans have are so much brighter so i think im gonna go with pool filter sand as my substrate and a mixture of rocks i have to see what my lfs has on sale cause im a little strapped for cash at the moment but im lookin for a job so it should be under way soon and im gonna down grade my filtration to probably 1 ac 110 and do tht single species tank with tht peacock any other advice would be grate

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I were you I would buy pool filter sand from a pool supply store or maybe even home depot. I 50 pound bag sells for 5-10 dollars. As for rocks, look into a landscaping store and call around for what you want. I got about 140 pounds of rounded river rock for 17 dollars! There is a fish store in town that sells the same stuff for upwards of a dollar a pound..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks i did recently before xmas buy a 50 pound bag of play sand for my 10 gal community which turned out perfectly but i like the white coloring of pool sand as i ve seen on youtube videos and i knoow how cheap the sand is at home depot its unbelieveable how much lfs upcharge and i will defenitly look around there are tons of landscapeing stores around me thanks everyone so much u have all beeen a big help

·
Registered
66 Posts
No probelem :thumb: Also, if I were you, I would get my parents to buy me some spray paint (flat black works well) to paint the back of your aquarium. 2-3 coats and your fish will have an awesome back drop. Another plus is that spray paint can be cheaper than those paper backgrounds. Recently my local lowes was selling flat and gloss black and white spray paint cans for 99 cents.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was thinking of doing a diy 3d background i with cement and styrafoam but thts a summer project so and if tht doesnt work out well im just gonna end up painting also how tall should my rocks be because i ve heard cichlids like to rearrange and i dont need to come home from school with a busted tank and water all over my floor thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YES! im gonna go to petco tommorow and borrow $50 from my parents and probably just keep it in my basement till i get everything for it speaking of which how much was lighting and all tht junk

G

·
I have a 30 inch strip light that I'm using from my 20 gallon but it has to be modified to fit it was $40 I guest that a 36 inch wouldnt be that much of a difference. I have a penguin 200 that was about $30. 5 bags of gravel which was $20. My rock was free. If there are any other specific prices you want to know just ask. I would also suggest getting a pet pals card there it's free and it gives you good discounts.

G

·
I have a penguin 200. I would suggest a penguin 200 or 350 based on the bio wheel idea it gets rid of more ammonia and nitrates. The 350 has dual wheels but the 200 only has one. I like both. I also have a sump.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts