Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a ton of people with 55 g tanks for centrals but I don't understand why 40 breeders aren't more popular for that type of fish. 40bs have a bigger footprint than a 55 (standard 55 g is 624 sq inches whereas a 40g breeder is 648 sq inches). A 40 b is not really a small tank for CA cichlids. I can't speak to African cichlids but every CA cichlid I have ever owned rarely goes above mid level in the tank. They spend all their time in the bottom half and so seems a bigger footprint is more important for centrals (aside from the larger water volume keeping ammonia levels more stable).
What say you?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think the bottom line that influences people to go with the 55 is volume of water, and the 15 gallon difference is a lot

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
A 40b is the larger of the commonly available 3 ft. tanks and it's definitely an up grade on a 29 gal. I think the 55 would be somewhat preferable not only because it's a larger tank but because it's longer, being a 4 ft. tank. The extra length allows for more territories, keeping greater distance from each other, and greater distance to flee from each other.
Territories are usually separated length wise. Tanks need to be really, really wide in order for cichlids to have territories separated front to back. I've had many tanks 2 feet wide, and very, very seldom have seen territories separated front to back (I've seen that maybe two or three times in about 4 decades!) so really it's the length that allows for more territories in most cichlid tanks.
slava2929 said:
but every CA cichlid I have ever owned rarely goes above mid level in the tank. They spend all their time in the bottom half
Smaller, younger CA, I would sort of agree with that but IME large adults will use the whole tank. Then again if they are scared and not fully comfortable in a tank with few tank mates, they may be scared of the surface.
Space is space. Any upgrade in size is of benefit to the fish. If you were to prioritize dimensions, length is usually the more important dimension, though in terms of height vs. width, IMO it is not so clear at all which would be the more important dimension in most situations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BC in SK said:
The extra length allows for more territories, keeping greater distance from each other, and greater distance to flee from each other.
Territories are usually separated length wise. Tanks need to be really, really wide in order for cichlids to have territories separated front to back. I've had many tanks 2 feet wide, and very, very seldom have seen territories separated front to back
This is really good information. I had never thought of it it that way. Thanks man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts