Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
With 3 tanks running, I have but 4ft of wall space left to start a fourth.
I figured a community tank with 3 species, 1 open water, 1 rock dweller and 1 shell dweller.
I'd like to shoot for either a 55g or 40b (total weight is an issue for this tank).

The stats:
55g (48x12x21), footprint of 576 sq in. vs.
40b (36x18x16), footprint of 648 sq in.

Ok, maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but I'm thinking go with the 40b (shorter length, shorter height but bigger footprint).

I'm open minded so I'm asking you. What's your vote and why?

Thanks as always..........Tom

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
48" long tank. More length for swimmers like cyps. More distance between fish for territorial types.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For me I think footprint is always more imprtant than actual volume, more swim room etc :fish:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJ, you summed it up in a nutshell and the others concur. Length trumps footprint, especially for smaller tanks. I'll stick to a 48" tank. Disregard my comment about weight being an issue for my next tank.......I should refrain from posting late at night when I'm tired :zz:
What I meant was, I have a well and am concerned about water usage to maintain 4 tanks (there are some with water problems in my area). But 21 years in my house with no issues is a comfort so I think I'm okay. I am running a 75g already, so for my next tank, I'll go 55g minimum, with a strong possibility of going with another 75g. I used to have a 90g but that few inches of extra height is probably a non-issue in most cases. Thanks to all for your input.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts